New Pool Owner: Struggling

Apr 7, 2015
Quitman, LA
Ok so we bought this house and it has a pool. A green pool. The plumbing on the pump and filter needed repair so we fixed it. Now the motor is loud (i've ordered a new one) and the ph is super high in the pool. I have no clue what is in the bottom of the pool and believe it is either 12 or 14 ft deep. I am thinking that it would just be easier to drain and start over even though I have managed to get it from swamp green to light green. Thoughts?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit are you using? These are the only Recommended Test Kits if you want to take control of your pool.

Can you post up any test results? That is the first step to know what to do next.

There are dangers of destroying your pool if you drain it in an area that has a high water table. It is actually pretty easy to clear up a swamp by following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. Take a look at these as well:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Although, that might be getting ahead of ourselves if you are completely new to pool maintenance.
Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

And I actually have checked out Pool School and fortunately I am aware of the draining issue. I live in Louisiana and that is one of the main reasons I have not drained it yet. That is I will only be able to drain it halfway and treat what is not drained. I figured if I'm gonna treat I will treat the whole pool. I have actually gotten it from swamp green to a pale green but of course it's going to rain tonight

Well, I would not trust the tests you have now. The pH tests can give artificial results if your FC is too high ... and some of the chlorine tests also fade out at high levels making you think it is low.

Wait for the kit and keep reading and asking questions until it arrives.

It might not hurt to grab a leaf rake and start cleaning out whatever might be at the bottom. You won't be able to see anything, but just start scooping up whatever you find. Less nasty stuff in the pool will help a lot with the SLAM process when you start it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.