Giving the outdoor kitchen a face-lift

Apr 20, 2015
Lancaster, Ca
This summer I'd like to upgrade my outdoor kitchen because whoever did the counter top had no clue what they were doing. I'm planning on a wood look porcelain for the face and not sure what I want to do with the top yet. I have no problem doing tile but I'm wondering about the prep. The structure is block with a brown coat and what looks like LaHabra color coat on top. The color coat has chipped off in one or two areas but for the most part is stuck good. I'm thinking of two options as I don't want to try to grind the color coast off.
1. Knock off loose plaster, clean the rest, skim coat with a good modified thinset then tile.
2. Knock off loose plaster, clean, one or two coats of Redguard for adhesion and crack isolation then tile
What do you think?

For the top I'm don't have a plan, probably a tile or stone.
Should I put rebar into the block and bend it into the top and pour concrete?
Or should I just attach plywood over the top, cover with tar paper wire then float like a kitchen counter top?
Not sure what to do here.

Here are some pictures showing the mess now.

Thanks for your input!
1fa85cb20842f095b0f6969a02397389.jpg

6622e176c6d5cff9456144de95070f40.jpg

cc3ef62b559fe5b8b33eea85fa87d418.jpg

dbab9b721a884dc70246516a951d0255.jpg

You could hit the stucco with a good wire brush and remove all loose pieces. Then redgaurd as a sealant/binding agent. I'm personally not a fan of tile outside but to each his own. I would cover with rock veneer or re stucco.

For the top, a slab granite would look great! Expensive though. Have you though of removing the appliances, remove the top, for and then do a pour in place concrete? That's my preference but I am biased.

You know after I posted this I saw some pictures of live edge stained poured in place concrete. It's a winner! I wanted to use the wood look tile on the face because my entire yard is concrete and stone thought it would be nice to add something different but who knows I still have time as I'm still undecided.

Thank you for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.