Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Giving the outdoor kitchen a face-lift

1. Back To Top    #1

Giving the outdoor kitchen a face-lift

This summer I'd like to upgrade my outdoor kitchen because whoever did the counter top had no clue what they were doing. I'm planning on a wood look porcelain for the face and not sure what I want to do with the top yet. I have no problem doing tile but I'm wondering about the prep. The structure is block with a brown coat and what looks like LaHabra color coat on top. The color coat has chipped off in one or two areas but for the most part is stuck good. I'm thinking of two options as I don't want to try to grind the color coast off.
    1. Knock off loose plaster, clean the rest, skim coat with a good modified thinset then tile.
    2. Knock off loose plaster, clean, one or two coats of Redguard for adhesion and crack isolation then tile
    What do you think?

For the top I'm don't have a plan, probably a tile or stone.
    Should I put rebar into the block and bend it into the top and pour concrete?
    Or should I just attach plywood over the top, cover with tar paper wire then float like a kitchen counter top?
    Not sure what to do here.

Here are some pictures showing the mess now.

Thanks for your input!

9k gallon IG rectangle plaster pool spa combo, Sta-Rite P4R6F3-188 1 1/2 hp pump with Schneider Electric AVT11HU41M2U variable speed motor drive for 2 speeds, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite SR400NA gas heater, Jandy AquaLink RS, Zodiac Baracuda G3 cleaner Cover-Pools T-3 automatic cover. Built in 2006. K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Giving the outdoor kitchen a face-lift

You could hit the stucco with a good wire brush and remove all loose pieces. Then redgaurd as a sealant/binding agent. I'm personally not a fan of tile outside but to each his own. I would cover with rock veneer or re stucco.

For the top, a slab granite would look great! Expensive though. Have you though of removing the appliances, remove the top, for and then do a pour in place concrete? That's my preference but I am biased.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

3. Back To Top    #3

You know after I posted this I saw some pictures of live edge stained poured in place concrete. It's a winner! I wanted to use the wood look tile on the face because my entire yard is concrete and stone thought it would be nice to add something different but who knows I still have time as I'm still undecided.

Thank you for your input.
    9k gallon IG rectangle plaster pool spa combo, Sta-Rite P4R6F3-188 1 1/2 hp pump with Schneider Electric AVT11HU41M2U variable speed motor drive for 2 speeds, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite SR400NA gas heater, Jandy AquaLink RS, Zodiac Baracuda G3 cleaner Cover-Pools T-3 automatic cover. Built in 2006. K-2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Concrete counters will be much more durable than tile.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm thinking that since your upgrading the kitchen you should go all the way and upgrade the grill, fridge and cabinets too. When should I come pick up the old ones?
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 4knights View Post
    I'm thinking that since your upgrading the kitchen you should go all the way and upgrade the grill, fridge and cabinets too. When should I come pick up the old ones?
    Haha nice try. Although the fridge doesn't work. Not sure if it needs to be charged or if it can for that matter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Talk with an hvac guy, if it has a compressor they can fix it. Sometimes for a dip in the pool and a beer!
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.