Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: One skimmers or two?? for new build

1. Back To Top    #1

One skimmers or two?? for new build

Hey Guys!

We are in the process of building a 41x25x18 mountain lake style pool. The PB is asking if we want one skimmer or two? The pool square footage area is 730 Square feet.

Much appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: One scimmers or two?? for new build

One skimmer is usually enough, although that is a pretty big pool. [No idea what a mountain lake style is ] If you have a lot of surrounding trees, then 2 is probably a good idea. Make that one is on the predominantly downwind side of the pool.

And make sure that each skimmer and the floor drains (if you get them) are all plumbed separately to the pump and controlled by pool valves.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: One skimmers or two?? for new build

Thanks for the reply!

It's a funky liver shaped pool. I don't have many trees close to the pool but there are some on the edge of the property. $550 for the second skimmer...I need to decide soon. If its not really needed, I would rather spend the $550 somewhere else!

Cheers
    41x25x18 Humpback Haven
    Graduated from 16ft Intex

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I would spend the money. That's a pretty big pool for just one skimmer.

Sort of like a Chevy Volt with a 20 HP motor....no, wait, they DO have a 20 HP motor.....bad analogy. JK JK

Seriously, two skimmers will be quite helpful in a pool that size.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Having two skimmers is nice because stuff gets trapped quicker in larger pools before it can sink. And also because with a 2-speed or VS pump running low, so you can be energy efficient, the water movement around the pool isn't all that fast and the baddies are trapped quicker than they would be with one.

A couple of things that people don't always think about floating in pools are bugs when swimming at night with lights (we do this a lot) and fur from pets. It not all about the landscaping.
    I vote for 2 also.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

And by pets I meant dogs but who knows what some people swim with!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    And by pets I meant dogs but who knows what some people swim with!
    LOL! be quiet Patrick!

+1 for two skimmers. For us we need one for the south wind in spring and summer and one on the other end for the north wind in fall and winter.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach