Replace gasket on Fiberglass swim-out and steps

tfrain

Jun 30, 2014
Olive Branch, MS
Bought house last year and pool was awful. Replaced liner, and even though pool guy pressure tested, ended up having a leak in the fiberglass swimout (Top Two returns). Because of the leak, these returns (and their gaskets) were likely out of the water for some time hence failure. Pool guy came back out and used AB Epoxy below the waterline to seal around the returns, effectively melding the fiberglass with the plastic return, covering the gasket. He did a decent job on one; the other he didn't get proportions right and it is flaking. I will scrape off and replace that epoxy soon. This stopped my leak.

Now, I would like to be proactive with this issue, and wanted to replace the remaining two lower gaskets on the fiberglass swimout, as well as the gasket on the return at the steps to preclude any leaks in the future.

NOTE THAT I will be draining the pool down to 6 inches above the shallow end in order to dilute some iron I have in the water.

That being said:

Can these gaskets be replaced from the front? Or do I have to have access from the back of the swimout and steps to "hold" it in place?

The guy at leslie's couldn't help me find the part, but I'm sure I could locate it somewhere. I think they are Hayward returns.

If I can't replace from the front, is the best solution:

1. More AB Epoxy
2. Marine Grade Silicone applied carefully (or some other silicone)

Picture links below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06vu1z64spmsv0g/IMAG4493.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t30ufbx9n3z7wl2/IMAG4494.jpg?dl=0

I'm draining pool now. Almost to bottom of steps. I figured I'd drain to that level, refill, turn pool over, then do it at least once more to try and dilute out the iron. Draining to this level will give me access to the bottom returns on the swimout and I could caulk them if that is the appropriate action. If anybody has any opinions it would be great to hear. Additionally, not sure which product to use of caulk is appropriate. I might be able to do it tomorrow. Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom, the return on the steps may be from the step manufacture. That happens often. Hayward has three returns that are most often used, SP1023, SP1408 and SP1411. I tried to upload the 1408 file and said it was too big. If you private message me your email I will send the files.

I just got the photo's from Tom. This is a SP1023 return fitting with SP1419 eyeballs. There may be a gasket on the back side of the fitting so he needs to be careful when replacing. It would have been better if the manufacture of the steps used a SP1411 or SP1408 fitting. Easier retrofit. I tried uploading the one page cut sheet on this fitting but it said it was to big. I emailed it to Tom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.