Different CYA levels recommended on different PB documents

Mar 27, 2015
Orlando, FL
Pool is currently 2 weeks and 4 days old from when it was fired up. Note that the pool was fired up on a Friday with acid/chlorine chunks added and on the following Monday it was salted,more acid added, and the IC40 was turned on. I asked them about the "no salt in first 30 days" and they said they've been doing this "hot" turn ups for at least last 10 years and it's not an issue for the warranty on the interior, as long as pH levels are kept 7.2-7.4 range.

I have 2 different documents from the PB about water chemistry: One of them covers first 30 days and after 30 days, and the other document is listed as "IntelliChlor Water Balancing and Pool Water Chemistry". Everything on these documents matches except for the CYA. The first document says CYA of less than 50ppm for first 30 days, and then 75-100 for after 30 days. The IntelliChlor document says 30-50ppm. Lastly, the info that came with my TF-100 kit says 60-80ppm CYA for SWG pools.

Question is, what is the best figure, both for my remaining 2 weeks of the "first 30 days" and then after that?

I tested the level today at approximately 45ppm with the TF-100 kit. I also used an AquaCheck 7 strips showed 30-50ppm CYA range, so I'm pretty confident in my reading with the TF-100 kit.

Adding salt already certainly did not do your plaster any favors. It is very well documented that you should wait at least 30 days to let the plaster cure. Just because that is what they have always done does not make it correct. Smoking also did not used to be viewed as detrimental ;)

Being in Florida, you are going to want the CYA up around 80ppm for more protection from the sun. I am not sure if it matters if you raise it now or not. Certainly nothing wrong with keeping it a little lower for a few weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.