Which one of the poolmath calculatars to use?

sgt173

Feb 10, 2015
Parrish,FL
Should I be going by the Pool Math one or the newer one the Pool Calculator on my home computer?
I'm getting different amounts of how much chlorine to use to shock my pool .
The original Pool Math one says Shock is 29 and the newer one the Pool calculator says 21 form what my readings are now.
Just curious way they say different amounts.Was the newer one updated and should I just use it now?
I'm going to be buying the App for my smartphone when I get it.
Getting tired of running in the house to use the desktop every time I need to add something.
Thank you guys for all the help
Sarge

The "new" one and the one that is supported and updated by this forum is PoolMath.

There are no officially supported apps. Although some members have created them with matching recommended levels.

Thank again Jason, so Pool Math it is.
and still set the suggested goal levels to TroubleFreePool.com like I have been?
Since it's saying hotter here now I have been noticing a few spots of algae starting to form in places that is harder to brush from the deck.
Now I can get in the water and do them I was thinking about shocking the pool since I have never done that since I moved in here this winter.
I kicked up my FC to 11 from what I was keeping it when I had a real high CYA level in the winter then it turned hot.
I know I still have to get my CYA down a bit more thou when I can get a chance.I'm gonna wait a while first
I was hoping the rainy season now and water dissipation would help me out.
So looks like more brushing more often is the deal. Or would you suggest I should just shock it once now? The water looks crystal clear still now.
My last readings this morning after a good rain last night was:
FC 9.5
CC 0
PH 7.7
TA 70
CH 310
CYA 60-65
The TA is a little on the low side

Since I just did an overnight FC loss test on 4-16-15 and the total loss overnight was just .5 from 7.5 down to 7.0. Do you still think I need to SLAM it now?
I was thinking the brush was using just wasn't getting in the curves of the steps and walls well enough and we had company for a few days so I wasn't doing as good of a job with the brush for a few days before I noticed the slight algae building up in them areas and the temps have been higher too Since then I have got a new and much better brush that has a super curve on the sides that works a lot better on them.
If I need to SLAM I will but, it will have to wait a week or so for me to be here and back to normal so I can test the water regularly like I have been for the SLAM process. I have to go back to the VA hospital again here for a little while soon.
That is the reason I didn't think I wanted to SLAM it just yet since the water looks so clean and clear all the time,but I will if I have too.I was thinking just maybe shock it for now.
Thanks again for all the great help I get on here guys. It is much appreciated for sure.

If there is visible algae, you need to SLAM.

There are several criteria for SLAMing. You are not done until the water is clear, you pass the overnight test, CC is 0.5 or lower, and there is no visible algae. You need to continue until you meet all of the conditions.

Best wishes on your hospital visit. I understand why you may not want to start a slam right now, but if you can see visible algae, a SLAM is what's in order. Do you have someone available to help at least maintain a decent chlorine dosing daily while you are in the hospital? You do not want that algae to get ahead of you...

Jason, as I posted that my overnight FC loss was just .05 earlier. I haven't seen the algae in the corners since I got a better brush and raised my FC up to a 10 for a few days now.
Last full test yesterday was:
FC 9.5
CC 0
PH 7.7
TA 70
CH 310
CYA 60-65 ?
This morning
FC 9.5
PH 7.6
Thanks Swampwoman, my wife is the only one and she will be busy visiting me and other stuff.
She does not understand the test kit as of yet. and the poolmath
I still got her in training on that. You wemens are hard to train... LOL
But, she can help do the brushing for me when I get back if I have to slam it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope that is the case Jason.Like I said before I think it was just that brush I was using wasn't getting in the curves that well and we had company here too and I was kind of busy with them. I didnt notice it untill the morning they left.
Im not saying I don't or need to SLAM it if it needs it don't get me wrong you guys know more about it than me for sure
It's just the water looks so clear and clean all the time now since I have started coming in here and I do appreciate your advise on everything.
Ill be working on getting the CYA down a little more too as soon as I can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.