First SLAM was a success!

Nov 10, 2014
Sachse/Texas
New pool was completed last October. Since then, I've spent many hours reading this site trying to learn how to manage a pool. I didn't have to do much over the winter, but I did practice all the tests several times. When it started warming up, I noticed my FC dropping. For about a week, my FC was reading 0, so I knew it was time to do my first SLAM. After leaving Walmart with everyone thinking I was a meth head with a basket full of bleach, I got started. After I got the chlorine up to shock level, it only dropped once. I brought it back up last night and I checked it this morning and the FC held at 12. The water was never real cloudy, but it's crystal clear now. Thanks to everyone on this site!

Now the question...what now? My FC is at 12...can my kids swim in it or do I need to let it come down?

You want the FC level below shock level given your CYA level. So look your CYA level up in the chart in Pool School and see what your SLAM level is, and as long as you are below that you are good to swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.