Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First SLAM was a success!

1. Back To Top    #1

First SLAM was a success!

New pool was completed last October. Since then, I've spent many hours reading this site trying to learn how to manage a pool. I didn't have to do much over the winter, but I did practice all the tests several times. When it started warming up, I noticed my FC dropping. For about a week, my FC was reading 0, so I knew it was time to do my first SLAM. After leaving Walmart with everyone thinking I was a meth head with a basket full of bleach, I got started. After I got the chlorine up to shock level, it only dropped once. I brought it back up last night and I checked it this morning and the FC held at 12. The water was never real cloudy, but it's crystal clear now. Thanks to everyone on this site!

Now the question...what now? My FC is at 12...can my kids swim in it or do I need to let it come down?
    17,000 gallon
    In ground tahoe blue plaster
    DE filter (DEV60)
    Jandy variable speed & jandy booster pump
    Jandy pro series heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First SLAM was a success!

It all depends on your Cya level. As long as you are under the shock/SLAM value for your Cya, then it's fine. See the chart in Pool School.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

You want the FC level below shock level given your CYA level. So look your CYA level up in the chart in Pool School and see what your SLAM level is, and as long as you are below that you are good to swim.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My CYA is 30, so the SLAM level is 12. It held at 12 overnight. So, I need to wait for that to come down a few points first?

Thanks!
    17,000 gallon
    DE filter (DEV60)
    Jandy pro series heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by justinjla View Post
    My CYA is 30, so the SLAM level is 12. It held at 12 overnight. So, I need to wait for that to come down a few points first?

Thanks!
    Yes. A few hours of sunlight should be enough to reduce the FC. When it's below 10, you can trust the pH results. If pH needs adjusting, do that. If it's between 7.2 and 7.8, let the kids get in!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank all!
    17,000 gallon
    DE filter (DEV60)
    Jandy pro series heater