Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
I am trying to use 2 inch pipe for everything.. I bought the 1.5 to 2 inch jandy valves and they are perfect with 2 inch pipe.. BUT

I ordered these unions with 2 inch connections and they are the same size as 2 inch pipe..

https://www.mypoolyard.com/product_info.php/cmp-mip-pvc-temp-union-21063-160-000-p-4816

I thought they would be the same as the jandy valves and connect to 2 inch pipe.. Do I need some kind of slip to connect them? I was trying to avoid doing this... I have 8 of these unions ( 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 2 for the pump and 2 coming off the filter.... The 2 for the pump and 2 for the filter are differant types of unions...

Those are fairly unusual unions, with one end that is equivalent to 2" pipe and another end that has 1.5" male threads. That is a quite specialized part, not suitable for general use. The 2" pipe end can be connected to with any standard slip fitting, treat it as if it was the end of a pipe. But that really isn't what you want to be using around the equipment pad, where you want both sides the same size and with a more standard slip fitting connection.

Jason, I think the pump and filter fitting are correct and will work ( they are the standard fitting's from Pentair )

I was trying to make it an easy connection to the returns and skimmer, I guess that didnt work out...

So, I recieved my pump last night and I checked both pump and filter connections... The pump is perfect, it fits into the 2 inch pipe.. The filter is the same size as 2 inch pipe..

How is the best way to do all this? Will I be able to connect using a 2 inch slip fitting, like you said, that is not the best thing to do.. But with everything being 2 inch except the pump and Jandy valves, it may be the only way I can get it done... Because the jandy valves and pump work with 2 inch I cant go to 2.5 inch pipe, that would look even worse I would think...

Any suggestions?

It is straightforward enough to do, though you will need a few extra slip to slip straight connectors.

2" pipe is just fine. You could go to 2 1/2" pipe easily, but that would mean even more fittings (extra cost + extra work) to change size between 2" and 2 1/2", which doesn't seem worth the effort.

Jason, and everyone following this.. :)

I went out and bought a 5 foot 2 inch pipe to finish this once and for all ( I was guessing that it would work but did not know for sure)... Everything is perfect... The "special" connections I bought are awesome, they screw into all 3 returns, the skimmer and the pump and connect to 2 inch pipe with a union.. The filter has a 2 inch union also.... I bought 2, 2 inch unions to connect the SJ 45 salt cell just incase i needed to remove it or something crazzy...

Just so everyone knows, these are what I bought to connect everything.. I found them at https://www.mypoolyard.com/product_info.php/cmp-mip-pvc-temp-union-21063-160-000-p-4816

V3ZwB9Tl.jpg

16mSa9Ul.jpg

What I am supprised about is why these are not used by everyone... How is everyone connecting the returns and skimmers to hard pipe?

Because I dont do this all the time, it made the most sense to me to go this route, is there a better way?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.