Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Intex SWG unit has not been dependable

1. Back To Top    #1

Thomson GA

The Intex SWG unit has not been dependable

I have had 2 Intex pools with the SWG. The SWG unit has not been dependable, Of the 3 SWG units I have had one was replaced in the first year and the replacement lasted less than 6 months. Another problem with the Intex SWG is that it contains a copper block that is used to prevent algae by releasing copper ions. Great theory but in practice the granddaughters had this awful shade of green tinted hair. Both Pools were physically great and I have no complaint about the pool quality just the SWG. BTW both Intex pools were destroyed by falling tree limbs during 2 separate ice storms.
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: The Intex SWG unit has not been dependable

The copper bar is very easy to disconnect, simply unplug the electrical cord running to it, and it will stop adding copper to the water. We recommend always disconnecting the copper portion.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Houston, TX

Re: The Intex SWG unit has not been dependable

Sorry that you are having a tough time with your Intex SWCG. Mine has run like a champ for 2.5 summers with only needing 1 new cell plate, which was all of $20.

I'm pretty sure I just jinxed myself, it will die now.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math