Opening pool for my third season

Apr 13, 2015
Greensburg/Pa
I opened the pool last week and it was pretty clear, after removing all the leaves I took my water to the local
pool store.

I use the Frog system with 1" chlorine tabs and mineral pack.
The results are below.

TC: 2.9
FC: 2.3
PH: 7.3
TA: 100
CH: 350
CYA: 120
PHOSPHATE 200
BORATE: 80

I am waiting on my test kit, I use strips to test the water and it confirmed the store results.
Where do I go from here.
The cartridges I use were cleaned after all the leaves were removed from the pool.
My water is crystal clear.
Do I need to SLAM the pool?
The temp is 74 deg.

Well, the question is - are you looking to follow the TFP methods or continue with the frog & tabs. You really can't do both.

The answer to your "Where do I go from here" question will depend on the answer.

So if I switch to the TFPC method, is my first step to SLAM the pool>
I'd suggest the first step is to get your own reliable test results. And if you also get the CYA is into three digits, do a partial drain to lower it. Then you can perform the SLAM process. If the water is clear and the walls have no algae, that could take as little as one day.

Actually, If you want to switch the first step is to remove the frog. It is adding minerals (read that as metals) that you really don't want any more of in your water.

As Richard said you will need to order one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Following our methods you FC is very low at this point. If your CYA is truly 120 (suspect at this point) you FC target should be 14 and never go below 9. When my CYA was 200+ I had to keep my FC around 18.

This chlorine level scares some folks and pool stores will tell you that you are going to ruin your pool, but believe the science behind it. You can start your reading of Pool School while you wait for your test kit. Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.