Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening pool for my third season

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening pool for my third season

I opened the pool last week and it was pretty clear, after removing all the leaves I took my water to the local
    pool store.

I use the Frog system with 1" chlorine tabs and mineral pack.
    The results are below.

TC: 2.9
    FC: 2.3
    PH: 7.3
    TA: 100
    CH: 350
    CYA: 120
    PHOSPHATE 200
    BORATE: 80

I am waiting on my test kit, I use strips to test the water and it confirmed the store results.
    Where do I go from here.
    The cartridges I use were cleaned after all the leaves were removed from the pool.
    My water is crystal clear.
    Do I need to SLAM the pool?
    The temp is 74 deg.
    Kevin
    14 X 28 In ground Pool, Vinyl, 13,500 gallons ,Pentair WhisperFlo 2HP pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Hayword heat pump
    Pool built in August 2011, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening pool for my third season

Well, the question is - are you looking to follow the TFP methods or continue with the frog & tabs. You really can't do both.

The answer to your "Where do I go from here" question will depend on the answer.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

We have a lot of happy People using the TFPC method. It works, I promise you.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

So if I switch to the TFPC method, is my first step to SLAM the pool>
    Kevin
    14 X 28 In ground Pool, Vinyl, 13,500 gallons ,Pentair WhisperFlo 2HP pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Hayword heat pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PURDUEPETE View Post
    So if I switch to the TFPC method, is my first step to SLAM the pool>
    I'd suggest the first step is to get your own reliable test results. And if you also get the CYA is into three digits, do a partial drain to lower it. Then you can perform the SLAM process. If the water is clear and the walls have no algae, that could take as little as one day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Richard has it right, the first step is a good kit and reliable numbers. You can't slam without it if you need too.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I will get a reliable test kit and let you know the results.
    Kevin

8. Back To Top    #8

Actually, If you want to switch the first step is to remove the frog. It is adding minerals (read that as metals) that you really don't want any more of in your water.

As Richard said you will need to order one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Following our methods you FC is very low at this point. If your CYA is truly 120 (suspect at this point) you FC target should be 14 and never go below 9. When my CYA was 200+ I had to keep my FC around 18.

This chlorine level scares some folks and pool stores will tell you that you are going to ruin your pool, but believe the science behind it. You can start your reading of Pool School while you wait for your test kit. Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon