Efflorescence v. Calcium build up??

wwtennant

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Bellaire/TX
I have an elevated spa that overflows into the pool via a waterfall. The 6" tiles on the face of the waterfall continue to get a white build up. at first, I thought it was calcium build up but my chems are all in balance and I don't get any build up anywhere else. That is when I read about efflorescence. Either way, I have been eliminating them with an acid/ water mix via spray bottle. The build up does react to the acid. But it comes back so quickly now.

Any thoughts on whether it is efflorescence or calcium scale?? Also, has anyone tried these tile sealants that claim to prevent efflorescence?? If so, do they work?? Photos attached- if the upload works.

Thx- Warren

eff1.jpg
eff2.jpg

That looks like "evaporite", which isn't technically either scaling or efflorescence. It comes from water that gets spattered onto the tile from the waterfall and evaporates, leaving behind any minerals it might contain. This is unavoidable when you have a waterfall or spillover and does not depend on your chemical balance. How quickly it happens depends on how much water spatter there is, which you have some control over, but can never completely eliminate.

I have similar looking tile and a sheer decent waterfall. The previous owner did nothing about the mineral build up so I have been working on it. Most areas are clear, but several are taking more time. I purchased a Purity Pool OS Out Spot Stain Remover. It fits on the end of your vacuum pole and allows you to target spots you want to hit with acid.

Some of the thicker areas I have had to use a pumice stone to remove it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.