Pressure question

Apr 9, 2015
Hernando MS.
I just changed the filter sand in my 25" filter with 300lbs of new pool filter sand. I back washed for about 5 or 6 mins and the water was nice and clear in the sight glass. I then rinsed for about 2 mins. So I then turned the pump off then to filter and turned the pump back on. I was expecting the pressure to be in the neighborhood of 12 PSI but it was 20 PSI. I changed the gauge when I changed the sand because the other one didn't work so I don't think it is the gauge. My question is is that to high or is that just where mine is going to be with clean sand?

If you original gauge was not working, how do you know the new one is inaccurate? Did you install the new gauge first, run your filter, then change your sand? My filter, after backwash, runs at 18 psi and loves 20 (that is with the old sand and new sand after I changed it). I just let her run until it gets to 25 psi or so.

Yea, that's just the problem. Some are better than others and none of them are extremely precise. While 20 seems a touch high, it really isn't wrong, its just what you have. But at least you know where you are. If it isn't one, a nice Glycerin filled gauge is good to have. They tend to be a bit better in terms of overall quality/accuracy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.