Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Racer does not do reverse cycle. Pauses instead. Getting stuck in corners.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Racer does not do reverse cycle. Pauses instead. Getting stuck in corners.

Just bought the pentair racer after reading decent reviews. Set it up today and I saw that it would pause for a few seconds and then start up again. It's like it missing some of the reverse gears or something. I tried with and without the tail but with the same results. Is there some sort of setting that I'm missing. Thanks for the help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Racer does not do reverse cycle. Pauses instead. Getting stuck in corners

The user manual says this to no reverse:
    Check for proper flow using Flow Gauge (provided). Adjust the flow at
    the wall fitting if needed. See page 2.
    Possible?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pentair Racer does not do reverse cycle. Pauses instead. Getting stuck in corners

I just installed a new Racer with my month old pool. I had to increase the flow with flow gauge to get the wheels to turn the proper # of rotations. I also installed the little " rubber wheel inserts " and adjusted the back nozzle "up" and now it climbs real well!
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

4. Back To Top    #4

I made sure the pressure is correct with the pressure gauge and checked the rotations. I actually have too much pressure so I had to dial down the setting. I sent an email to pentair so we'll see what they say.

Here is a video of what it does.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#...B-46C603902987

5. Back To Top    #5

The Pentair rep came out today and took it apart on site and replaced the valve timer. It still would not go into reverse cycle so he took it to the shop. He discovered it was missing a part from the factory that is glued into place and they are sending me a new unit. I'm thinking about switching to a Polaris 280. The racer does an ok job but the swivels in the hose don't seem to work that well and the hose ends up coiled in the deep end.
    30,000 Gallon geometric 40'x20' French Gray Quartzscape, 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ,Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 520sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Intellibright 5G