Need advice on AGP

Apr 20, 2015
Dallas,TX
Hello,

I have been researching AGP and I keep coming back to Doughboy oval pool (12x20 or 12x24). We want to bury it and put a deck over it along with a heater to go with it.

1. Is Doughboy a good choice? Resin or steel for full burial? Two shops gave me two different answers.

2. They said full bury install would run around $3500 bucks. Is that a fair deal?

3. What kind of heater should I buy for a pool that size?

4. The pool + install + heater = ? How much would you expect me to spend? The one shop said I would be around $10k with a heater.

I have a pitiful backyard in north metroplex. From my house to the fence, I have 22 ft. By 50 ft. I figured a 12x20 be adequate enough for me and the wife.

Any advice or money saving tips would be gladly accepted.

Thank you.

We installed the 12x20 doughboy. We have a small yard as well. With the information we gathered from shopping around, Doughboy was the only rated pool for burial. Ours is buried approx 2 feet. The amount of water is approx 6900 gallons, so you should be good with a 50KBTU heat pump. The larger, the better. It's up to the electric that is installed. Labor for running the wires is the same cost if it's 10ga (30 amps) or 8ga (40 amps), so run the largest wires you can. The amperage will be dictated by the size of the breaker installed in the panel. If I remember, the cost of install was about $1700. That included the digging, removal of dirt and the sand. Backfilling and replacing the sod was done by me and cost another $700. Running the electric cost $1200 and they ran 2 circuits, one for the heater and one for the pump/filter. Also included a few courtesy outlets.

We installed the 12x20 doughboy. We have a small yard as well. With the information we gathered from shopping around, Doughboy was the only rated pool for burial. Ours is buried approx 2 feet. The amount of water is approx 6900 gallons, so you should be good with a 50KBTU heat pump. The larger, the better. It's up to the electric that is installed. Labor for running the wires is the same cost if it's 10ga (30 amps) or 8ga (40 amps), so run the largest wires you can. The amperage will be dictated by the size of the breaker installed in the panel. If I remember, the cost of install was about $1700. That included the digging, removal of dirt and the sand. Backfilling and replacing the sod was done by me and cost another $700. Running the electric cost $1200 and they ran 2 circuits, one for the heater and one for the pump/filter. Also included a few courtesy outlets.

Thanks for the feedback LI poolguy. After talking with a contractor, I believe I am going with the 12x20, buried 2 ft as well.

1. Installing the pool will run $2000, I assume that is the complete deal. From grass to fully set-up.

2. Nat Gas is cheaper in Texas than Electric so I was going to get a Nat Gas heater. Advice? Where should I buy it from? What is a good brand?

3. Would you mind sharing a picture of your pool?

4. How much do you think this stonework would cost to put around the pool? Obviously, we are not going for that shape, but ultimately, we would love to convert it to look like this We also are looking at getting it decked over, but it seems like it will run anywhere from 7k-12k for the deck. NOT the flagstone around it, just the border and step.

Thanks,
Chris

pool1.jpg

Hi Chris!

I'm not to sure about all of your questions, but I will say the $2000 for a partial bury is a good deal. We had our Doughboy partially buried and it cost $3500, but that included a 7 ft deep end and hard plumbing.

Do you know what type of liner you'll be getting? (beaded or overlap) If you're getting an overlap liner, which is what we did, you might be careful about how close the deck is to the top rails. Our installer, who is a great guy by the way, cautioned us against putting our deck over the top rails, especially if you're planning on using a winter cover. He also said that when it comes time to do the liner replacement (hopefully a LONG time from now) it will definitely cost more if he has to work around a deck.
That being said, I really want the look of a built in pool, so we're going to be doing the deck right over the rails anyway. Plus, from what I've been reading from other fellow North Texans, I don't think I'll be closing for the winter.

Also, welcome! I look forward to following your build and what you eventually decide on the heating. We're probably going to wait a year to decide on heating. There aren't any existing gas lines in my neighborhood, so I don't know if it would be worth the start-up expense.

Hi Chris!

I'm not to sure about all of your questions, but I will say the $2000 for a partial bury is a good deal. We had our Doughboy partially buried and it cost $3500, but that included a 7 ft deep end and hard plumbing.

Do you know what type of liner you'll be getting? (beaded or overlap) If you're getting an overlap liner, which is what we did, you might be careful about how close the deck is to the top rails. Our installer, who is a great guy by the way, cautioned us against putting our deck over the top rails, especially if you're planning on using a winter cover. He also said that when it comes time to do the liner replacement (hopefully a LONG time from now) it will definitely cost more if he has to work around a deck.
That being said, I really want the look of a built in pool, so we're going to be doing the deck right over the rails anyway. Plus, from what I've been reading from other fellow North Texans, I don't think I'll be closing for the winter.

Also, welcome! I look forward to following your build and what you eventually decide on the heating. We're probably going to wait a year to decide on heating. There aren't any existing gas lines in my neighborhood, so I don't know if it would be worth the start-up expense.

Thank you for the responses. Denton is VERY close to my home. Would you mind telling me who your installer was? I want to see if they are able to do the pool like the one in the picture.

With all the cost involved, why not go in ground?

With all the cost involved, why not go in ground?

Because I don't have 40k-50k to dump in a pool... This will come in around $10k. $5k pool, $2k heater, $2k install.... the stonework/decking is what is the wildcard.

Not to mention, I am limited by my backyard, which limits me to an extremely tiny pool for same minimums as a fairly large one.

if you go the DIY route and stay away from the pool store you might get some things done cheaper. For example, you can hire out the excavating, buy a pool kit online, and install it yourself. The hardest part is the excavating. The picture you posted above is of a radiant metric pool. They are rated for full in-ground and above ground installs. I built mine into a hill in yard. one side is fully buried, and the other side is only a couple inches under ground. Watch some youtube videos, it is not hard to DIY at all. keep that 2k, or more in your pocket for other things... like beer and pizza to convince some friends to help out.

After excavation, my dad and I laid out the blocks, on a Friday evening. Then Saturday by 1pm we had the hose in it. Sunday, water was delivered, and Sunday evening the kids were in it. BTW, it was a freezing 75.:eek:

if you go the DIY route and stay away from the pool store you might get some things done cheaper. For example, you can hire out the excavating, buy a pool kit online, and install it yourself. The hardest part is the excavating. The picture you posted above is of a radiant metric pool. They are rated for full in-ground and above ground installs. I built mine into a hill in yard. one side is fully buried, and the other side is only a couple inches under ground. Watch some youtube videos, it is not hard to DIY at all. keep that 2k, or more in your pocket for other things... like beer and pizza to convince some friends to help out.

After excavation, my dad and I laid out the blocks, on a Friday evening. Then Saturday by 1pm we had the hose in it. Sunday, water was delivered, and Sunday evening the kids were in it. BTW, it was a freezing 75.:eek:

The $2k includes excavating. I am really just curious how they laid the stonework near the pool. I really would like that done. I don't think it will be super expensive either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Perhaps stone is cheaper in your area than in mine, but here something like that would probably cost at least $3k

$4800 actually. I got a mason to quote me. I believe I convinced my wife to enjoy the pool itself buried 3 ft into the ground and hold off on the decking. Trying to think about the utility of the pool vs the looks of the backyard.

Only unforunately thing is my yard entry is so tiny, they have to take down my fence and part of my neighbors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.