new vinyl liner

ernie01jt

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Smithton IL
Hi folks.
Like it says, I'm getting a new liner this spring and am wondering where to start as far as salt and bleach since I'll have new water.
I hit search several ways but didn't see anything close. I'm just trying to make sure I have all that I'll need on hand. Prior to this I had a service take care of the chemicals and now I plan to take the plunge(PUN INTENDED) and take care of it myself. I have a new TF100 test kit. I'm having the water trucked in, it comes from the same supply as to the house so I'm wondering If I could test the water out of the faucet giving me practice and an a base line ahead of time.
Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Certainly, test your fill water so you can get some practice, but you wont see any FC or CYA in there, so test it if you want, or not.
TA would be good practice. CH too, but a vinyl pool really doesnt need any specific level of CH. As long as it isnt way way high, then no need to do anything with it.

In the meantime, also play around with Pool math to get a feel of adding stuff does. Run though some scenarios and pay attention to PH and TA when adjusting (or not), those. TA and Ph go hand in hand with each other.

As for testing the pool water. Always wait 30 minutes after adding something, and then test again.
Always have the pump running when adding stuff.
Always mix any powder chemicals (except for CYA) in a bucket then pour it in.
Always pour liquid chemicals Slowly.. in front of a return... I move aroun and add stuff in front of several returns...

Once the water is in, then adjust the pH first.

Next, use bleach to get your FC to a level of about 4. Test it and also test for CCs.

you will need enough CYA on hand to get you up to recommended level... but dont add all at once. Add about 2/3 by teh skimmer in the sock method then test it a few days later. Increase it if needed.

Next, test for TA and CH. Do nothing with CH.

let us know if you have anything specific that worries you, or would like more clarification on..

Next add salt. Let it mix for 24 hours before turning on the SWG.

Good job getting the test kit! You are on the right track!

Chlorine-find YOUR best source for it. For some it is walmart, others ACE Hardware, others the pool store using their jugs. Make sure to check the % when you check the prices. Walmart=8%, Pool stores = 11% on average so...

I would go ahead and test your water from the tap. That will put you way ahead of the curve. I will tell you that do not bother testing the CYA as tap water does not have any.

Let us know how it goes!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.