First time opening the pool

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
I will be opening my pool in approximately 2 weeks. Within the next week, I will be placing all the plugs, etc. at the sand filter and regular filter to save time. Then in 2 weeks, I will remove the cover (with a friend) and take out the skimmer gizmo's and all the plugs for the returns (total of 8). After this, I will turn on all the valves to the on position. In addition, I will take the handle on the sand filter from Winter to Filter. Lastly, I will prime the filter with water and turn on the system.

Once the system is running for an hour or so, I will take a sample of the water and test for PH, TA, CH and FC. The water looks clear. I will have to fill the pool with some water as the cover has holes so I drained excess water out prior to turning on the pump.

My question is as follows: What order should I be testing the water? This is what I am guessing by what I am reading.

1) PH first (Adjust if necessary)
2) FC - I will super chlorinate with 12.5%, probably 1.5 gallons
3) TA
4) CH

Should I adjust the water one step at a time? Or can this all be done at once? Of course, the filter will be running 24 hours a day. Am I missing anything? Thank you.

It's all good, we all miss something! :) Adjust ph first, but chlorine needs to be under 10 for test to be accurate. Post test results so we can make a better recommendation.

I will. I am a little excited about opening the pool. The water looks clear. I will take some water and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 1 hour before testing this week just for curiosity.

Q: Before I turn on the system, do I need to fill the filter basket with water or the system will prime itself? Thank you.

Nothing wrong with that! Clear water is a good start. I would fill the basket. If the cover is off and the water is above 50 (some say 60) then you need to add 2-3 ppm chlorine daily.

If your water is crystal clear, there is no reason to super chlorinate, unless you're getting CC's.

Opened the pool today. First time and it went smoothly. Placed all fittings on filter-pump, sand filter, including sight glass and pressure gauge. Then I removed the plugs, gizmos on the skimmers and returns/jets. Primed the system and filled with water. Here are the test results. I will post the results on the day the pool was closed in September.

CYA 30
PH 7.2 (added some PH +) and will test again tomorrow.
FC 2 (added 1/2 gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine)
CC 0
CH 250
TA 80

Last year, on September 15th, the pool was closed with CYA 50, PH 7.6, FC 5, CC 0, CH 250, TA 110. They used this chemical when closing the pool. Probably an Algaecide. This year I will attempt to close the pool myself.

Filter is running 24 hours for the first day. Came home after 6 hours and the water is crystal clear.

Question: The 50 or 60 ? Is this the temperature of the water? Should I be loosing that much ppm daily? The water was cold here in NJ and the temperatures remain on the cooler side. Also, how many hours should I be running the filter? Thanks !

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
N
Question: The 50 or 60 ? Is this the temperature of the water? Should I be loosing that much ppm daily? The water was cold here in NJ and the temperatures remain on the cooler side. Also, how many hours should I be running the filter? Thanks !
The temperature. Algae growth is inhibited by low temperatures, so it is best to wait to close until the water is in the 50's and open again when the water again reaches the 50's. This gives,you the best chance of a clear open with no green.

At this point with a clear pool you would only need to run it the minimum to keep it clean and circulate any chemicals you add.

Monday morning the FC was 8.5. There have been no chemical additions to the pool water. The filter is on for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. Water was test this morning, 3 days exactly and the FC has dropped to 5, a total of 3.5 over 3 days. Dropping approximately 1 ppm per day during somewhat mild temperatures. Based on a CYA of 30, my goal minimum is 2 and target is 4.

Pool looks great. I am so glad I have TFP. My feelings are that following this methodology will prevent many problems in the future. I really preach to everyone about the TFP method. Thank you everyone for your help.

Glad it's working out. Just remember that as the weather warms and folks stRt w
Swimming your daily chlorine usage (demand) will go up. Keep,testing and adding chlorine and stay ahead of problems

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.