My CYA is still 100 after draining almots 40% of my water

Depends how much you splashout. Only a few ppm are "consumed" per month. Over the season, you might expect the CYA to drop by ~20ppm due to all factors.

The CYA buffers the chlorine. If you follow the recommended FC/CYA levels, your pool will be about a factor of 10 less harsh than if you went to the indoor pool at the YMCA on Magee ;)

Replacing water would be cheaper than the risk of trying the CYA reducer IMO.

You guys are the best. Thank you! If I can get my CYA to drop by about 20 this summer I would be ecstatic!

I don't really know what to do this summer when we leave town. I'm not going to be putting any pucks in the pool. Should I super chlorinate before I leave? My question is why hasn't someone gone in business making tablets that don't have CYA? :)

You guys are the best. Thank you! If I can get my CYA to drop by about 20 this summer I would be ecstatic!

I don't really know what to do this summer when we leave town. I'm not going to be putting any pucks in the pool. Should I super chlorinate before I leave? My question is why hasn't someone gone in business making tablets that don't have CYA? :)
How long you leave town for would decide if you can go up near shock level and let it ride down.

Or, you can start to look at chlorine automation like a SWCG or a Stenner Pump

My question is why hasn't someone gone in business making tablets that don't have CYA? :)
Because it violates the laws of chemistry ;) Chlorine can not exist in solid form without a binder. Cal-hypo uses calcium, you do not want that in AZ either. Or there is a lithium product that is very expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

10 days is a long time in the AZ sun with no automation or someone to add chlorine.

Sounds like you are going to have to hire a pool sitter LOL. Is there a neighbor or friend or?????? That can come by at least every other day if not every day to pour bleach in your pool while you are gone?

Kim

Sounds like you are going to have to hire a pool sitter LOL. Is there a neighbor or friend or?????? That can come by at least every other day if not every day to pour bleach in your pool while you are gone?

Kim
Kim hit the nail on the head. In sunny AZ 10 days is a long time to go without additional of chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just called my pool builder to find out how much it will cost to change our pool from chlorine to salt. He said about 1400, plus tax. That sounds about right to me!

I am so happy I found this forum. I have been able to balance my water and understand my pool chemistry so much better. I am positive that my CYA was higher than 100 to start with, but we never knew because of our testing methods. I feel like a lot of people live with high CYA and don't even know it! Thank you!

It is pretty easy to install the SWG yourself for less than $1400 ... A Hayward with 40k cell is around $800 plus the salt for $50 and maybe $50 for miscellaneous supplies.

I am not sure what % have SWG, but I would guess it is no more than half, and probably less.

I am not aware of a tutorial showing the install, but it is just a little PVC and electrical work. Pretty basic stuff if you have ever done any of it, although not hard to learn if you have not.

Can you post up a picture of your equipment pad plumbing so I can get a feel for how difficult the plumbing might be?

Quick correction: The 40k Hayward might be a little closer to $900 than $800.

Okay, so I think I've got my levels evened out from my year of relying on the wrong testing. Aside from my high CYA, which I plan to bring down this summer.

CYA 90
FC 7
PH 7.4
TA 120
CH 150

My question is, do I need to raise my calcium or should I just leave it?

I would bring the CH up to at least 250, if not a little more...

But, with that being said do you know what the CH of your fill water is? If your fill water has high CH it may come up on its own....

My fill water is 130ppm ... and the CH climbs faster than would be desired here due to evaporation. Mine is rising about 120ppm every year so will require water replacement about every 3-4 years. As such I did not want to add CH, I just maintained my pH a little higher to compensate for the lower CH.

Your pool is fine now, although keeping the pH around 7.6 would be balanced a little better. If you add salt, then you certainly want the pH up between 7.6-7.8

You can pour it into the deep end then brush around a bit to get it disbursed. The reason for pouring it in front of the return is to get it mixed into the water better while the return water shoots out. If your shallow return shoots out nicely, I don't see a problem pouring it there, and you might want to go ahead and brush off the lagoon step afterwards.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.