New pool owner with scale problems

Apr 20, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
We put in the pool last summer. We have never had a pool. We tested the water ourselves with a Taylor 2500 and kept all levels where they were recommended. However we did not check the CH and that seems to have caused a scaling problem. We noticed it before season was over last summer, but could not get plaster people to look at it until recently. They came and suggested we drain and acid wash which they did last week. It removed some of the scale, but still not great. We refilled pool and pool company suggested we order a no drain kit. It has not arrived yet. Pool company told us to put some chlorine tabs in and to add nothing else until the no drain product is used. I have been reading this forum and others and am wondering if this is the way to go? Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum!

Before I would do anything, I would test the CH level with a reliable test kit so you know exactly where you stand in regards to your CH level. Here is a comparison of the Recommended Test Kits.

By a "no drain kit", I'm assuming you are referring to a no-drain acid wash. If so, just be aware that this is a fairly aggressive procedure that gives you little control over what happens. It will remove calcium scale, but may also remove plaster from areas that are not scaled thereby shortening the lifetime of the plaster. Before I would consider this, I would want a good set of test readings. If you could post some pics, that would also help us provide more targeted advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.