Sand Filter & Dog Hair?

pragmatic

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
Friendswood, TX
I just read through the “Deep-cleaning a sand filter” thread. Very informative-Thank you Smykowski and others. I'll certainly increase my monthly Backwash from 1 minute to 4 minutes.

I’m going on my 4th season with the pool. Although, I’m not having any issues with cloudy water or pressure increases, I’ll probably perform the deep-cleaning procedure.
One thing that concerns me is Dog Hair (Man’s Best Friend). With a Labrador, the hair certainly accumulates in the skimmer basket and strainer’s. Literally gobs and gobs of it! I can imagine a majority reaches the sand filter. What concerns me is the hair clogging the sand-filter Laterals. Anyone with a sand-filter & swimming dogs find this as a problem?

Reactions: Ignoramus
That doesn't happen. The hair mats on the top surface of the sand bed. It does not penetrate much at all into the sand, let alone get down to the laterals. The mats tend to let water through quite well, and usually backwash out without problems.

Stretch a knee-high stocking over the skimmer basket and let it catch the hair. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/58581-Skimmer-Sock-Nylon-Illustrated
Great idea! Thanks
That doesn't happen. The hair mats on the top surface of the sand bed. It does not penetrate much at all into the sand, let alone get down to the laterals. The mats tend to let water through quite well, and usually backwash out without problems.
Makes sense-Under operation it's packed down tight and not fluidized-Duh, Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.