Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter & Dog Hair?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter & Dog Hair?

I just read through the “Deep-cleaning a sand filter” thread. Very informative-Thank you Smykowski and others. I'll certainly increase my monthly Backwash from 1 minute to 4 minutes.

I’m going on my 4th season with the pool. Although, I’m not having any issues with cloudy water or pressure increases, I’ll probably perform the deep-cleaning procedure.
    One thing that concerns me is Dog Hair (Man’s Best Friend). With a Labrador, the hair certainly accumulates in the skimmer basket and strainer’s. Literally gobs and gobs of it! I can imagine a majority reaches the sand filter. What concerns me is the hair clogging the sand-filter Laterals. Anyone with a sand-filter & swimming dogs find this as a problem?
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22’X42’ Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10’X12’ Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter & Dog Hair?

Stretch a knee-high stocking over the skimmer basket and let it catch the hair. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...on-Illustrated
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

That doesn't happen. The hair mats on the top surface of the sand bed. It does not penetrate much at all into the sand, let alone get down to the laterals. The mats tend to let water through quite well, and usually backwash out without problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I second Richard. Just be sure the sock goes on the *inside* of the basket.
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Stretch a knee-high stocking over the skimmer basket and let it catch the hair. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...on-Illustrated
    Great idea! Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That doesn't happen. The hair mats on the top surface of the sand bed. It does not penetrate much at all into the sand, let alone get down to the laterals. The mats tend to let water through quite well, and usually backwash out without problems.
    Makes sense-Under operation it's packed down tight and not fluidized-Duh, Thank you!
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22’X42’ Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10’X12’ Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

I like this. LOVE the skimmer socks.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem