My lighting system went out, =(

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I opened my pool up over the weekend. One amazing thing is it was perfectly filled from all the precipitation. YES!

Anyways I got an issue that's making me depressed. :( I flipped on my lighting system (fiber optic pretty sure) and the light on the housing lit up and things started to glow. Its a embedded style strip along the inside of the pool. I switched it off and went inside. The next day I cleaned everything up and as it got dark my wife wanted me to flip it back on. (everyone loved the lights) I did so and noticed the light built into the house was bright then quickly dimmed to almost nothing. The strip never started to glow. I went over the changed the toggles around with no luck. I flipped the breaker on and Off and kept messing with it but as mentioned all I can get is a very faint glow from the housing light.

The pool is about 12 years old now, all last season it worked great!

Here is the information on the housing (sorry about the grass clippings) The numbers are faded but blown up I can read them.
http://i.imgur.com/FtbNe4Y.jpg

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem? Are these systems replaceable / repairable?

This is what the strip looks like,
http://i.imgur.com/USNIfTv.jpg

Thank you very much!

The number you may need is under the handle and unreadable at this angle. It says product P/N on your housing, but the number is hidden. On the housing it says HID lighting, which stands for "High Intensity Discharge", so it does not appear to be an LED system. At 12 years it may be something as simple as a bulb somewhere in the system.

A Google search of "Pac Fab Pool Lighting" came up with some reply's, some showing them as "Pac-Fab / Purex (Pentair)"

A Google of "Pac Fab Pool Lighting insert model number here" may lead you to the bulb or manual.

Please post a photo of the bulb. You might also want to go over the bulb with a magnifier to see if you can pick up any numbers.

Have to do some math as I was thinking 35 watt but that's with a 12 volt system (automotive) and that housing says 120 volt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This appears to be the same system that I have and people are speculating correctly. It's a Pentair PG2000. I have 2 lamps that light up the fiber strip around my pool and 2 round lights recessed below the water line. I'm having the same issue. Last fall it worked great and just before seasonal closing one of them failed to get bright (driving the fiber strip). After much research for a reasonably priced replacement bulb, I replaced it with the same disappointing result. I see an arc at the top of the 150w metal halide lamp but it never restrikes or gets bright. No mention in the documentation about a ballast. I'm most likely calling an electrician tomorrow. ��

Hey Wollerd,

Thanks for giving me a heads up! I "think" I found the correct replacement build but did not order it yet. Would you mind letting me know the exact one / type etc that I need? And ya I was thinking also it would be a cheap quick fix. :(

If you have an electrician come out, PLEASE let me know what the problem is! Hopefully its not a horrible fix. I live in Wentzville, so if its something not fixable on your own I would love the contact info of your electrician (if he can fix it).

Thank you so much!

The electrician came and went. Good news... He fixed the problem and the fiber is bright like new. Bad news... he replaced the transformer in both lamps. Well, that could be good news too, since I don't have to replace the entire system. I don't know the cost of the transformers yet as they're going to bill me but he spent 2 hours at $90 per/h. I'm glad I had him replace them after watching for a while. A lot of stuff packed into a small space. I'm a bit of a 'do-it-yourselfer' but that was money well spent!

Thanks for the update wollerd. I took mine apart and cleaned it up. Checked the bulb (looked fine) and cleaned the color wheel. Flipped it on and its working normal... I wonder if these systems have an issue with colder weather? Last time I tried it I think it was pretty cool out. No idea but it works (for now). Do you live downtown? Maybe my transformers are on the fritz, if so I wouldn't mind a number for your guy if he would come out my way.

The light bulbs (Metal Halide) are rated for 8,000 hours. Neither one of mine were bad but I purchased one last fall as a troubleshooting measure. I looked around the Internet and local light supply stores and found a (reasonable?) priced one at $65. I was appalled but it is what it is and the Internet was running $100+. The link above (illumixtech.com) shows them for $19.00. Not much to loose, so I sent away for one. It arrived in 3 days and works just as well as the $65 bulb. I've got 2 new bulbs that should last at least 13 years. And, two (slightly used) good spares. I'm good.

Aleforge: I'm glad to hear that your system is up and running. 'tis the season! I've sent you the electrician's information in a PM.

Thanks for the information (and contact) wollerd! I have no idea how many hours are on my bulb (bought the house a year ago). I am glad to see you found them for 19.00! Going to save that link! Now if only I could actually use the lights before the mosquito's come out, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.