Bio-ACtive CYA Reducer Fine Print

Yev

Jul 29, 2014
Independence, KY
If you read from the manufacturers site, it has the following text

"Suitable in use for commercial and residential pools... with a maximum CYA of 300ppm"

I have no idea why the max is 300, but nonetheless it is there.

Also, it shows a study of 6 pools, and 1 application reduced the pools CYA levels a range of 55-95ppm.

So I think that these guidelines are accurate for this product.

-If you have CYA of 300, expect it to take 3 or 4 applications to get your CYA back to an acceptable level.
-If your CYA is super high (>300ppm), the product will not work as it is out of range.
-Even if it did work, expect it to take at least 1 application per 100ppm drop, and as the product is not cheap, it is going to cost a fortune.
-Most pool stores can't measure above 150ppm, so if they say 150ppm, dont believe them that it is only 150ppm. While at the store, go ahead and dilute your sample 2:1 or 4:1 and ask them to retest. (and I know how everyone here feels about pool stores test, but I want to get this info out there for people to read in case they do go get a test done)

So far I think that people are treating this as a water rescue method once your levels are off the chart high, but as I think about it, I dont think that is the intended application for this product. For this product, I believe that this is what they are trying to accomplish. To allow them to use chlorine pucks, and occasionally use this to maintain safe CYA before it gets to high. In other words, a perpetual money grab by them.

So it is my belief that they think this product should be used like this:

1.) Use pucks in your pool
2.) Once yoru CYA gets to 100ppm or so, add an application of CYA reducer, and you will get back down to an acceptable level.
3.) Repeat steps 1 & 2 over and over.

Someone much better with chemical math than me can probably give a more accurate answer to this, but with this philosophy (which seems like a bad philosophy) if you have a Memorial day to Labor day season, you could use pucks, and once or twice during the season add this $50 product to keep the CYA manageable.

Thoughts on my theory?

Yev, I'm not so sure about your theory. Only reason I mention this is because around here (upstate NY) I have yet to find a pool store to understand the correlation between CYA and FC. They want to sell you more and more shock when you have an Algae bloom as well as an Algaecide never asking where your CYA level is at. You will probably never hear a pool store recommend you stop using the pucks because it raises CYA. I do think the product will help some pool owners. Anyway, just my thoughts.

I had missed the "maximum CYA of 300ppm" statement.

At least one forum member has already tried the product with CYA starting over 500 and had good results. So your statement that
-If your CYA is super high (>300ppm), the product will not work as it is out of range.
is too strong. I would call it "may not work", as we know that it does at least occasionally work.

Did someone say phosphates??? J/K

At least the high CYA has known effects to those in the know. And the OP may actually be on to something in the sense that pool stores love to sell unsuspecting people un-needed chemicals.

If this product works, even at a "high" cost it may be worth it. Especially in areas like California that have water restrictions or for those that have wells or have to have water trucked in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yev, I'm not so sure about your theory. Only reason I mention this is because around here (upstate NY) I have yet to find a pool store to understand the correlation between CYA and FC. They want to sell you more and more shock when you have an Algae bloom as well as an Algaecide never asking where your CYA level is at. You will probably never hear a pool store recommend you stop using the pucks because it raises CYA. I do think the product will help some pool owners. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Donny, you are missing my point completely. I think that the pool store will just sell you your pucks as usual, and once your CYa gets to 100, they are going to say "Here put this $50 product in the pool to get that back down to a lower number" and repeat every time a customer comes in with a high CYA number. For these customers, in the past, they had nothing to sell you to fix that number. At no point do I expect them to educate you on the relationship of CYA and pucks

Donny, you are missing my point completely. I think that the pool store will just sell you your pucks as usual, and once your CYa gets to 100, they are going to say "Here put this $50 product in the pool to get that back down to a lower number" and repeat every time a customer comes in with a high CYA number. For these customers, in the past, they had nothing to sell you to fix that number. At no point do I expect them to educate you on the relationship of CYA and pucks
This seems very likely to me. If CYA remover stays around for a while, that will almost certainly become the dominant store attitude.

I agree, but can see how easily the pool store could take advantage of someone.

1. Owner comes in because their pool is green (I mean why bother getting the water tested if it is clear right?)
2. Pool Store finds the CYA is too high, sell CYA reducer ... and maybe 5+ pounds of Dichlor to kill the algae ....
3. A few days later the pool is still green and test show the CYA is still high ... sell more of both
4. Etc

Best case would be an owner used the pucks. Happens to get the water tested before the algae starts and finds high CYA. Use the reducer and keep throwing in pucks. Owner is happy because the pool is still clear (even though the wallet took a hit).

5. You have chlorine lock and need to drain the pool and start over! :hammer:

I agree, but can see how easily the pool store could take advantage of someone.

1. Owner comes in because their pool is green (I mean why bother getting the water tested if it is clear right?)
2. Pool Store finds the CYA is too high, sell CYA reducer ... and maybe 5+ pounds of Dichlor to kill the algae ....
3. A few days later the pool is still green and test show the CYA is still high ... sell more of both
4. Etc

Best case would be an owner used the pucks. Happens to get the water tested before the algae starts and finds high CYA. Use the reducer and keep throwing in pucks. Owner is happy because the pool is still clear (even though the wallet took a hit).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.