Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Heater Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Heater Questions

Just purchased a pool heater for my 18' pool. Not sure on the connection, but want to use Propane due to natural gas not an option in my area..

What size propane tank should I use? Does the tank need a regulator? Does anyone know what size of the connection within the heater?? The install manual doesn't specify the size.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    8000 Gallon 18' Round 52" Deep Morada Pool (Namco) DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Heater Questions

Your propane supplier will be the best one to answer the question on size, regulator, etc. As to the connection size we won't know either as we don't know what model/type of heater you have. Is the heater set up to run on propane?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a Hayward H100ID1. The heater is set to run propane.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If it is the propane model it should be 100ID"P"1 unless someone installed a conversion kit. Either way the gas valve will have a 1/2" NPT threaded port for the incoming supply
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    If it is the propane model it should be 100ID"P"1 unless someone installed a conversion kit. Either way the gas valve will have a 1/2" NPT threaded port for the incoming supply
    Your correct, it is Hayward H100IDP1. I have the propane supplier calling me for an appointment to check things out.

I was told at the pool place that I could use a 100lb tank, bad thing is to take it somewhere and get filled would be a pain in the butt! I may just have suppliers add a tank and refill whenever needed.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

When it comes to propane and the H100 a 100lb tank is minimal. I have forgotten the gallon equivalent to 100lbs. I recommend at least a 150 gallon tank. Remember with propane as the tank goes down the amount of gas that can be used is reduced and at some point the heater will not light.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

7. Back To Top    #7

100lbs of propane is less than 25 gallons.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach