Easiest opening ever this year- opening and closing with the cover on.

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm sold on my new process of covering the pool in the fall while the pool is still "open" which keeps the leaves out and when the water is 60 degrees, I blow the lines and close (was covered for a month with the pump running). This past weekend I did the opposite. I pulled the plugs, fired up the pump, and took TF100 readings but the cover is still on. The water is clear, 60 degrees, and the levels aren't that far out of whack. I topped up the pool with tap water and got:

PH 7.2
FC 0
TA 20
CH 120
CYA 10
Salt 1200

My PH is right on- I'm SLAMing with my left over 73% granulated cal-hypo to help raise the CH too. I also threw in a floater full of pucks to help keep up the FC, and raise the CYA at the same time. I added 120 pounds of salt, now at 3200ppm, 10 pounds calcium, and I can't wait to check my levels after work today. After I pass a OCLT, I'll see how much CYA I still have to add and pull out the pucks and let the SWG do it's thing.

My plan is get the water balanced and wait until the oak trees do their fuzzy pollen bombs, then pull the cover for the season, vacuum and brush and I should be ready!

I'm thinking next year I'm going to do my close/open in a similar way. I have very few issues with leaves as my pool is kind of on a high spot and the only trees in the immediate area are blue spruce but wind usually still gets a good amount in the pool over the winter. If I could just keep out the dirt from wind and snow melt...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.