Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easiest opening ever this year- opening and closing with the cover on.

1. Back To Top    #1

Easiest opening ever this year- opening and closing with the cover on.

I'm sold on my new process of covering the pool in the fall while the pool is still "open" which keeps the leaves out and when the water is 60 degrees, I blow the lines and close (was covered for a month with the pump running). This past weekend I did the opposite. I pulled the plugs, fired up the pump, and took TF100 readings but the cover is still on. The water is clear, 60 degrees, and the levels aren't that far out of whack. I topped up the pool with tap water and got:

PH 7.2
    FC 0
    TA 20
    CH 120
    CYA 10
    Salt 1200

My PH is right on- I'm SLAMing with my left over 73% granulated cal-hypo to help raise the CH too. I also threw in a floater full of pucks to help keep up the FC, and raise the CYA at the same time. I added 120 pounds of salt, now at 3200ppm, 10 pounds calcium, and I can't wait to check my levels after work today. After I pass a OCLT, I'll see how much CYA I still have to add and pull out the pucks and let the SWG do it's thing.

My plan is get the water balanced and wait until the oak trees do their fuzzy pollen bombs, then pull the cover for the season, vacuum and brush and I should be ready!
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Easiest opening ever this year- opening and closing with the cover on.

Great!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

That's a great plan! Gotta love TFPC!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm thinking next year I'm going to do my close/open in a similar way. I have very few issues with leaves as my pool is kind of on a high spot and the only trees in the immediate area are blue spruce but wind usually still gets a good amount in the pool over the winter. If I could just keep out the dirt from wind and snow melt...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons