Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening--What Chemistry Order

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Opening--What Chemistry Order

5K gal vinyl, with cartridge filter and 2 speed pump

Pool was very green yesterday, the bottom was almost/sorta visible. I used a gallon of 8.25% bleach and this morning the FC was 6.4% (using the good test kit &.2 ppm scale)

Pool is still green but bottom is visible, added additional 32 oz of 8.25% bleach Will vacuum and clean cartridge later this AM.

FC = 10 ppm
    CC=
    pH > 8 (required 8-9 drops of reagent to reduce to target level of 7.5-7.8 (that color is hard for me to read)
    TA =60 ppm
    CH = 30
    CYA = <20 (maybe zero)

After vacuuming and filter cleaning, what do I do next, At this stage it is almost a circular equation.

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening--What Chemistry Order

First priority is to get the PH down to the 7.3 to 7.5 range. Remember not to trust the PH test results when FC is higher than 10, so do this at some moment when FC is fairly low.

It is much simpler to SLAM if the CYA level is at least 30. I would add enough CYA to raise CYA by 30. That might overshoot 30 just a little, which is fine.

Then it is time to SLAM the pool properly, see instructions in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

Here is some info on updating your signature, What we need to know to answer your questions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, do you recommend liquid or granular CYA?
    Mobile, AL--5K gal, 15 ft diameter, 177 sq ft surface, Vinyl AG, 2 spd 2 hp Hi-Flo motor w/ Clear Water II 200 sq ft Cartridge Filter; Laars Lite II 400k btu heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
    Thanks, do you recommend liquid or granular CYA?
    Granular will save you a ton of money. They both take a while to show up on testing.

With the granular just pour what you need in an old sock and hang it in front of one of your returns. Shoot a little lower than your goal and make a second application later to bring it up. You don't want a math error causing you to overshoot.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon