Central MD
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I've been told by my PB that blowing out the lines in our inground pool is not necessary. Nor have we ever put antifreeze in. We've been through 4 winters so far and no problems (knock on wood). I've ready many posts here that include this step in the process and am a bit concerned that I'm not doing it. Can anyone offer some reassurance?

Up until now, our winterizing process has consisted of using their winterizer kit which includes an algaecide and some blue container with a dry material in it that I had to punch holes in, affix a foam float to and place over the deepest part of our deep end. I was planning on just doing the polyquat dose this year and forgo buying their winterizing kit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!!

I wouldn't consider closing a pool without blowing the lines :shock: ! Any water in the lines that are in the frost level can freeze and burst the pipes. Blowing out the lines should at least get the water out of the lines where the ground can freeze. Antifreeze will seek the lowest level and mix with any water that might not have been blown out, thereby offering protection from ice expansion in the line.

Water is a powerful force (especially ice expansion)!! and if you can protect your pool from it harming the equipment, it is time and money well spent!

Also, if you don't know what the winterizing chems are, you probably shouldn't be using them - stick with doing closings the way we advise and you'll open up to a trouble free pool :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.