Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM cut short question

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM cut short question

Long story short, my wife tests the water last week and comes up with 0 FC on our 2 month old pool. (When I have time, I will post up some pics) We were using tablets for the first 2 months to allow the CYA level to gradually increase. That goal has been accomplished. CYA = 50.

On 4/5 the FC = 4 and CC was .5. On 4/14 FC = 0 and CC = 0. I think my wife is on board with regular testing moving forward because she spent last week SLAMing the pool. Unfortunately, I work a rotational schedule which meant she was on her own and grew tired of the process. She tested daily and added chlorine to shock level once a day but after 4 days was done.

She did not perform the OCLT before stopping. The water is clear. My question is if my CC level remains at .5 or lower, am I ok or do I need to SLAM?
    25K IG gunite pool / PebbleTec plaster / 2HP Hayward 2 speed pump / Hayward 525 SQ/FT SwimClear Cartridge filter / Tiger Shark QC robot / TF-100 test kit / Stenner pump X 2 - Chlorine and Acid

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM cut short question

It is jot too late to do the OCLT. If you pass that then you will have the trifecta. But, it seems like you are in pretty good shape.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I will be home in a few days and will attempt the test. Is it possible to have a problem like algae and have CC be .5 or less?
    25K IG gunite pool / PebbleTec plaster / 2HP Hayward 2 speed pump / Hayward 525 SQ/FT SwimClear Cartridge filter / Tiger Shark QC robot / TF-100 test kit / Stenner pump X 2 - Chlorine and Acid

4. Back To Top    #4

Short answer is yes. All 3 criteria have a purpose. If the water is crystal clear and you sure no CC ... Odds are good the OCLT will be a pass.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like you need to do it. To reply to your Title, there are no shortcuts to SLAM.

We have a couple or more slow ones this year already, and it's clear people are not keeping up the procedure when we see this.

It is imperative that the FC has to get high, stay high, and stay high until everything is killed. When this is done properly, and in correct proportion to Cya, the pool will turn around. Unfortunately, if you let it slip, it will take time. Without knowing a little more, you are likely in the middle of this one. I would start anew with it, and get it going as if it were a brand new slam. If it's half or more done, then it won't take too long. Let us know when and if you need some help. We'll be glad to pitch in and help you through.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

When I get home, I will perform a OCLT and go from there. Pumps on or off during the test or does it matter?

7. Back To Top    #7

Pumps on.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry