Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Think I got lucky opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Hunterdon County, NJ

Think I got lucky opening

Opened up my pool on Friday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised, no green in site yet a bit cloudy and dirty. I vacuumed to waste and brushed the sides down and the bottom, then let the Dolphin loose in the pool. I didn't have time to run a set of tests on the TF-100 so I just let the filter run overnight.
    Saturday morning test results.
    Ph. 7.2 - added 52oz borax
    CYA 50
    Cl 2
    CC .5
    TC 2.5
    CH 75
    TA 60

Overall not to bad my CYA was high last year (I hate the test too)
    At 4pm I added 1 gallon of bleach and then waited until 8pm when I checked for the OCLT
    Cl 5.5
    CC 0

630 Sunday morning the results were nothing less than spectacular.
    Ph 7.5
    Cl 5.5
    CC 0
    Nothing was alive in the pool! In order to clear out the cloudiness a little quicker I put about 1.5 cups of DE into the Skimmer to increase the filtering. By noon the Pressure climbed from 14 to 20psi. I backwash the filter and noticed I could see the bottom the water is still a bit cloudy; but I think another day or two of 24hr filtering and I will have it crystal clear. I like to run the Cl levels a little high (closer to 8 with the given CYA) to give myself cushion in the event I can't get to it for a day.

My only question is should I shoot to raise the CH and the TA?

I purchased a Solar cover this year, once I trim it to size and repair the handle on the reel I will be putting that on as well. I hope to get the water a bit warmer than last year.
    20500 gallon Grecian type 2 pool built in 1980's, Vinyl liner aprox 2001
    2 Skimmers, 1 Dedicated Vac Line and 3 returns
    Hayward super pump - Hayward in line Chlorinator
    Triton TR-60 Sand filter
    Dolphin M3 robot, TF-100 with XL option & Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Think I got lucky opening

Do not need to raise CH in a vinyl pool. TA in a chlorine vinyl pool recommended level is 70-90, so raising it a tad is recommended. But, probably not a huge deal.

CYA at 50 is fine.

That is a nice pool opening! Congrats!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

No, not a huge deal at all. See how your pH behaves. I would not focus on this or get hung up on it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

As said above, your vinyl pool doesn't need Calcium, so save your money. And if the pH holds steady at 50 TA, you should be lovin' life!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!