Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Natural gas or heat pump in Tucson Arizona

1. Back To Top    #1

Natural gas or heat pump in Tucson Arizona

I have been reading on TFP and other places about pros and cons of gas vs. heat pump.
    I understand the advantage of being able to fire up a gas heater on demand and have a warm pool in a few hours. But with our warm temps I am leaning towards a Heat pump. I like th exact that it is quieter than gas,my neighbor has one that sounds like an F35 taking off.

I am looking for input from someone in Arizona or Cali in a similar climate who has a heater.
    I would be getting a cover as our temps drop around 30 degrees at night.

Here is our temp profile. Sorry about the formatting, it doesn't past well

Averages
    Fahrenheit Celsius
    Humidity
    At Max Temp
    Precipitation
    Month
    Max Min Max Min
    (Inches)
    January 65 37 18 4
    33%
    February 69 40 20 5
    March 74 43 23 7
    April 82 50 27 10
    May 90 57 32 14
    June 100 67 38 20
    July 101 74 37 23
    August 98 72 36 22
    September 95 67 34 20
    October 86 55 29 14
    November 74 44 23 8
    December 66 38 18 4
    Average
    (Year) 83 54 28 13
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Natural gas or heat pump in Tucson Arizona

Do you have a spa, that you would want to heat up in a hurry? If so, gas is the way to go, always. Otherwise a heat pump works very well here.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

As you realize, there is no need for extra heat in the summer. What kind of season do you want? The spa question is important too.

If you do not have a spa, then with a solar array and a cover you could be swimming March to November, although often the air is too cold for people to want to swim beyond that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Aae
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    As you realize, there is no need for extra heat in the summer. What kind of season do you want? The spa question is important too.

If you do not have a spa, then with a solar array and a cover you could be swimming March to November, although often the air is too cold for people to want to swim beyond that.
    March to November is the realistic period.December-February is possible with a gas heater,but only on lark, like New Years party. Not a party guy, more for daily recreation.

No spa,just the pool. No extra heat required from Mid May to Mid September,that's for sure.
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature