Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to me Raypak Rp2100 millivolt. What's first?

1. Back To Top    #1

New to me Raypak Rp2100 millivolt. What's first?

I renctly purchased a used RP2100 millivolt heater from a man than used it 2 seasons then family illness caused them to remove pool. Heater sat in his garage for a couple years, now it's mine. Any advice of where to start? What to check? I know I need to purchase the drain plug(missing) and PVC connectors as well as the nat to propane conversion kit. So while I'm waiting on parts should I do?

What size propane tank do I need?
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New to me Raypak Rp2100 millivolt. What's first?

Tank size depends on how often you plan to use it. Just remember, that with a milivolt system you are burning fuel even when you don't have the heater on heating the water.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Would love to open the pool this weekend but temps are still down to 37 at night and highs anywhere from 55 to 80. So it would get lots of use.

What do you think about simply removing the burner and burning wood instead?
    Any concerns?

I only paid $100 for the heater. No natural gas in the neighborhood. I've got about 40 cords of wood stacked but no fireplace anymore(pellet stove now)
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Converting a gas heater to wood is very problematic. You would have to build a fire box essentially from scratch, and even then the heat exchanger would really need to be redesigned as the thermal characteristics are fairly different between wood and gas. You would also effectively lose the thermostat, as there is no obvious equivalent to an electronic gas solenoid for wood. In principal you could build a wood heater, but it wouldn't share any components with your gas heater.

In general we don't recommend using wood heat for a swimming pool, as a pool can easily use a cord of wood a day or more, which means lots and lots of work tending the wood supply.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Well the only thing you can do at this point is hook it up, find a suitable temporary tank, and see if the thing even works. If you are really good, you could at the very least find a temporary tank and hook it in and see if the unit at least will light the pilot and generate the voltage needed to operate. You could at least run thru the basics. Then hooking it up into plumbing and see if it really works.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

What Paul suggested is the only thing you can do right now. It might fire on propane with the nat. gas setup. A 20# cylinder might last about 1.5-2 hours on it. Don't run the burner without water flow to keep the heat exchanger cool
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    What Paul suggested is the only thing you can do right now. It might fire on propane with the nat. gas setup. A 20# cylinder might last about 1.5-2 hours on it. Don't run the burner without water flow to keep the heat exchanger cool
    I have a couple extra 20# tanks for the grill so I can use those to try it. I'm amazed at how pricey the drain plug and the PVC slip connectors are.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Well the only thing you can do at this point is hook it up, find a suitable temporary tank, and see if the thing even works. If you are really good, you could at the very least find a temporary tank and hook it in and see if the unit at least will light the pilot and generate the voltage needed to operate. You could at least run thru the basics. Then hooking it up into plumbing and see if it really works.
    +1

If the heater works, give the propane guy a call and have him bring out a tank, and fill it of course!
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.