Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this safe to swim in?

1. Back To Top    #1

Harvey, LA

Is this safe to swim in?

I'm gearing up for a drain/refill gradually, but I'm curious if the numbers I have are especially dangerous to people...I'm sure the numbers are bad for the equipment and finish, but can we swim in this some while we drain/refill to reduce CYA? The water is very clear, but I know that clear water doesn't necessarily equate to water that is safe to the skin...

pH: 7.2 (Of course with the FC so high, I don't know how (in)accurate this number really is)
    TA: 170
    CH: 1000
    CYA: 200+
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Is this safe to swim in?

If the water is clear and the FC level is below the recommended SLAM level for that crazy CYA level, which I believe it is, it's safe to swim but you have obvious issues to work out.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Is this safe to swim in?

I am worried about that PH reading. The PH test tends to be way totally wrong when FC levels are that high. I strongly suspect that the actual PH is way too low. If so, the low PH will be rather irritating, especially causing stinging eyes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School