Switching from Perma-salt to BBB

Apr 19, 2015
Wynne/Ar
I can't find on here how to start a new post so hopefully someone can help me here. I am wanting to switch over this year to the BBB method. I have been on perma salt for 4 yrs. could someone tell me how much borax and acid I need to start off with. My pool is above ground 33'x54" 28,000 gal.

Welcome to TFP!

Are you doing a water exchange before switching? Perma Salt is really a copper/silver system, which can cause really bad staining of your pool. It would really be best to get it all out of the water so you don't have to deal with sequesterants if at all possible.

We don't recommend folks stocking up on anything other than chlorine. The old "BBB" name makes people think you are adding all these things all the time. My pool as an example only ever sees bleach and a little muratic acid to keep the pH in check.

The first thing you will need is one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.