Sta Rite Max E Therm heater with R13 code etc.

Leeorr

Apr 19, 2015
Fresno, CA
I had an issue with my heater not staying on longer than about 15 seconds and my pool timer was out. I called my home warranty who fixed the timer but said my control board was bad to due to water leakage and they would not cover it. I decided to tackle it myself. I replaced the control board, membrane and broken plastic cover on the top. When I turned it on, the heater came on for a short time, but the gas didn't kick in. Then the service system light came on. I went to the manual it told me to adjust the water pressure switch, which I did. It came on and would shut off, then come back on and shut off. It is also throwing an r13 code and a water temperature of about 128 for a short time when I turn it on. Do you think it is the water pressure switch? Or is it time for me to call a professional?

R13 is the revision code of the board. 128 is also a normal code when you turn the unit on. Not sure what lead you to mess with the pressure switch. Usually you never have to mess with it unless the pool or spa sits way above the heater.

My heater is above the pool but I read the manual and followed the flow chart. Since my pool light was on and so was my service system light, the troubleshooting part of the manual told me to adjust the pressure switch to a lower setting until the service system light turned off. It then gave me a choice of yes or no, if the service system light turned on when I turned off the pump but there was no light. The whole heater shuts off. The manual tells me to replace the pressure switch. When I was adjusting the pressure switch, the system turned on and began to heat but then kept turning off and on intermittently so that is why I thought it might be a pressure switch issue.

Well I have never read their manuals so..... I don't believe you have a issue with your pressure switch although now you could because it is no longer set to the factory setting. Getting it back there is near impossible. Not your fault though, crappy manual.

The heater being above the height of the pool is normal and the pressure switch would never need to be adjusted for that. Only if the pool /spa is MUCH higher than the heater and then you are only adjusting it to compensate for the downward pressure of the water. So..... I would first suggest you get a new pressure switch and don't make any adjustments to it. The next thing I would look at is the thermal regulator and see if maybe it's all gunked up.

Sorry the manual lead you in a bad direction.

Thank you so much for your input. I am going to check on the thermal regulator. :) It does stink that I messed with the pressure switch. I think I am going to hold my home warranty to this one and let them fix it since I installed the parts the contractor claimed were damaged by rain and were not covered and I am still having issues. It was obviously something else. I know sometimes it is just trial and error but the rest of the system should be covered. That's why I hang on to the home warranty in the first place. ;)

Not to bring up something possibly unrelated but... i will. The board and membrane should have been covered under home warranty (you are new owner, yes?). The membrane failed because the sun destroyed it due to the UV shield not being in place, was broken, or otherwise removed. This is exactly what home warranty is for. You as a new owner wouldn't know if a missing UV shield should even be there. I would make a call back to the HW ppl and push for reimbursement!

Pool Clown, I have heard many a home warranty companies NOT cover things like this. I'm not sure if you work for one or not but this is the reason why I quit working for them. They routinely denied claims like this for HO's. In fact I had one unit that was rusted out, they do that being outside, and the warranty company refused because the HO didn't take steps to keep the unit clean inside and also because they didn't have gutters up on the eves of the house to prevent water from running off on it. It's so ridiculous what the warranty companies refuse to cover. I've even seen pump motors not get covered because the HO didn't take steps to keep it from rusting out. They are crazy.

I agree to try and push it up the ladder to a supervisor but don't be surprised if they still say no.

Yea, i know. I was once a home warranty-ite and never was able to get things fixed on the first phone call. They hate dealing with people that know about appliances and the like because they have the ability to make more sense than the home warranty people. I was only able to get things repaired by calling and calling and pushing logic and common sense. Read your agreement, you may be able to get them to contradict it and at that point, ask for a supervisor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.