Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sherman Oaks, California
    Posts
    5

    Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Hey guys,

    This is my first post. I am a new pools owner as we just moved into a house in October with a pool and have not been in it yet. This is my first pool and clearly I know nothing about pools lol. I learn a little from the pool boy who comes once a week..

    I am quite a "germaphobe" and get paranoid over simple things lol.. The pools looks pretty clean now but when close you can see a lot of tiny debris on tops of the pool leaves being the biggest but they are easily scooped out with the net.

    The rest is like tiny flies or unidentified debris is this normal? Or do pools working correctly generally have none of that? Its pretty a pretty open pool there's no screen or anything around it..

    And is it safe to swim with this type of debris?

    Any info much appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,999

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Welcome to TFP! It is normal to have a little stuff floating from time to time, but generally not much. The most important part of keeping a pool safe and sanitary is maintaining proper chlorine levels. It is generally safe to swim with a little stuff floating around if the water is clear.

    Please update your signature, per attached, What we need to know to answer your questions
    Here is an intro to water chemistry, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,499

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Yes and yes.

    I'm an old Florida guy who remembers "most" pools had a screen enclosure around them. But now, in SC with a pool open to the elements there is always stuff in there. The longer you run your pump and the more effective your skimmers you will get most of it, but some is going to hang around.

    Now, this is where chlorine is your friend. Keep your chlorine level up (chlorine level is base on a relationship with stabilizer/CYA) and it's safe to swim.

    You said it, not me - but if you are truly a "germaphobe" it may always be difficult for you.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sherman Oaks, California
    Posts
    5

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP! It is normal to have a little stuff floating from time to time, but generally not much. The most important part of keeping a pool safe and sanitary is maintaining proper chlorine levels. It is generally safe to swim with a little stuff floating around if the water is clear.

    Please update your signature, per attached, What we need to know to answer your questions
    Here is an intro to water chemistry, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Thank you.. Im just curios now to know what is considered much by others standards haha..

    Thanks for the links ill check it out.. As for updating my signature the only answer I know to those questions is the pool is in-ground lol..

  5. Back To Top    #5
    jtaves85mcss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    188

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Beyond leaves and bugs that will get skimmed or vacuumed out, my pool gets all kind of little stuff on in it from the yard that is generally not visible from standing on the side. If I get in it and look across the water, it looks like dust on the pool. I originally had the choice to either run the pump 24/7, cut the lot clear of all trees (just took 23 ash trees down last Fall) or shrug my shoulders and worry about other things. Now I have a pump timer to run a few hours before I get home in the evening and I keep my chlorine in range and enjoy the pool.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sherman Oaks, California
    Posts
    5

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Yes and yes.

    I'm an old Florida guy who remembers "most" pools had a screen enclosure around them. But now, in SC with a pool open to the elements there is always stuff in there. The longer you run your pump and the more effective your skimmers you will get most of it, but some is going to hang around.

    Now, this is where chlorine is your friend. Keep your chlorine level up (chlorine level is base on a relationship with stabilizer/CYA) and it's safe to swim.

    You said it, not me - but if you are truly a "germaphobe" it may always be difficult for you.
    Thank you sir

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jtaves85mcss View Post
    Beyond leaves and bugs that will get skimmed or vacuumed out, my pool gets all kind of little stuff on in it from the yard that is generally not visible from standing on the side. If I get in it and look across the water, it looks like dust on the pool. I originally had the choice to either run the pump 24/7, cut the lot clear of all trees (just took 23 ash trees down last Fall) or shrug my shoulders and worry about other things. Now I have a pump timer to run a few hours before I get home in the evening and I keep my chlorine in range and enjoy the pool.
    Got it! Thank you.

    I was reading another thread that says make sure the flow etc is running correctly. Ill have them check it all out.. Maybe shock it one time? I dont even really know what that means. lol

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,999

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Read this, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry to start understanding water chemistry.

    As for how clean is my pool water? It is a lot cleaner and clearer than it was the day my pool was filled with the tap water that we drink. You just think your tap water is clear until you put 20,000 gallons of it in a pool and see how green and cloudy it really is. After a week of TFPC it will be sparkly, clean and clear.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    678

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    God yes. It is the bane of my existence. Some days, I just want to break down and cry but I hold it in and go get the vacuum ooonnnee more time. A bit dramatic but you get the idea. There is one spot that is out of reach of the cover and that opening is like a magnet. I am glad I have a robot and don't have to deal with the suction side cleaner.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sherman Oaks, California
    Posts
    5

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Read this, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry to start understanding water chemistry.

    As for how clean is my pool water? It is a lot cleaner and clearer than it was the day my pool was filled with the tap water that we drink. You just think your tap water is clear until you put 20,000 gallons of it in a pool and see how green and cloudy it really is. After a week of TFPC it will be sparkly, clean and clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtaves85mcss View Post
    Beyond leaves and bugs that will get skimmed or vacuumed out, my pool gets all kind of little stuff on in it from the yard that is generally not visible from standing on the side. If I get in it and look across the water, it looks like dust on the pool. I originally had the choice to either run the pump 24/7, cut the lot clear of all trees (just took 23 ash trees down last Fall) or shrug my shoulders and worry about other things. Now I have a pump timer to run a few hours before I get home in the evening and I keep my chlorine in range and enjoy the pool.
    Got it! Thank you.

    I was reading another thread that says make sure the flow etc is running correctly. Ill have them check it all out.. Maybe shock it one time? I dont even really know what that means. lol

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sherman Oaks, California
    Posts
    5

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Quote Originally Posted by f3justusc View Post
    God yes. It is the bane of my existence. Some days, I just want to break down and cry but I hold it in and go get the vacuum ooonnnee more time. A bit dramatic but you get the idea. There is one spot that is out of reach of the cover and that opening is like a magnet. I am glad I have a robot and don't have to deal with the suction side cleaner.

    Haha thanks.. So by robot I assume you mean robotic vacuum? How much do they go for ? might be a good investment. Its just the pool boy does ours once a week right now.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    678

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoolNewb15 View Post
    Haha thanks.. So by robot I assume you mean robotic vacuum? How much do they go for ? might be a good investment. Its just the pool boy does ours once a week right now.
    Yep, robotic cleaner. I had the suction side cleaner for a year and a handheld
    rechargeable one before that. I finally reached the point where I just want to enjoy the pool without any effort on my part. I picked it up for just under $400. Considering the suction cleaners are just under $200, I have no complaints. I toss it in and I leave. It never gets stuck and the water is crystal clear with no debris on the bottom in about an hour. I let it run for two hours just to filter the water.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,499

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoolNewb15 View Post
    Got it! Thank you.

    I was reading another thread that says make sure the flow etc is running correctly. Ill have them check it all out.. Maybe shock it one time? I dont even really know what that means. lol
    Shocking is pool store speak for a one time addition of a high level of chlorine, advise we don't follow. It is usually recommended when the pool store has no idea what is going on with your pool and just wants to sell you something and send you on your way.

    When we speak of shock, it is merely the numeric level of chlorine at which we start eliminating all the bad stuff in our water.

    Start reading through the site and learn the methods we espouse here. Ask questions. While some say information given over the internet is worth what you paid for it, remember - when you go to the professionals at the pool store their goal is to sell you as much stuff as possible, not to worry about how your pool really is.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,499

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoolNewb15 View Post
    Its just the pool boy does ours once a week right now.
    Well, think about firing the pool boy. No one will keep the pool as clean as you want it other than you. Pool services operate on the premise that they can add chemicals today that will last a week. The problem is you have higher levels today, not so much at the end of the week. Plus they tend to use "tablet" chlorine, which is not really all chlorine. A large portion of a chlorine tablet is made up of Cyanuric Acid (CYA), also know as stabilizer. While your pool needs CYA, it doesn't need - as a matter of fact is harmed by the massive amounts that begin to build up with continued use of solid forms of chlorine.

    The TFP system is based on accurate testign of your pool and only adding those substances that it truly needs, when it needs them.

    I might suggest you pick up one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Is general debris unavoidable in outdoor pools?

    If it blows into the yard, it blows into the pool. Whatever you find on the patio furniture, on parked cars, windowsills, or piling up in drifts in the corner of the patio, it's in the pool. That's what the skimmer is for. Maintaining adequate chlorine levels for your CYA level will kill any germs and bacteria on the debris. And that is the bigger question. Does the pool guy just fill your puck feeder once a week? Or do you maintain the chemistry? If it's been fed a steady diet of pucks, odds are very high that the CYA is up so high that there isn't enough active chlorine in the water - it's all bound up to the stabilizer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •