hayward super II pump overheating

Apr 19, 2015
Mesa
I am new to TFP, what a relief finding a group of experts that are not trying to sell you something.

I do have a question I would like some input on before I tear into my pump. Let me give a little back ground. I moved into this house with this pool about a year and half ago. Last year, on one of AZs hotter days, I was running the pool filter and it shut down for a little while, but came back on after it cooled. Just now, the same has happened again, only 80 today.

Also, the pool pressure gauge reads 25 PSI, which I am told by our friends at Leslies is really high. It does have a SWG that did not seem to be producing, so I converted to tablets ( I cleaned it the other day as well with Mauriac acid and water, so it is not an obstacle, also cleaned the in line filter just in front of the salt cell). My chlorine level was almost impossible to keep up, my phosphates skyrocketed to 1500+. I think the bigger problem was that my CYA was about 150 (our friends at leslies failed to mention , hummmm). So I just replaces all the water, and since the cartridge filters (4) were dirty and shot, I just replaced them as well ( Hayward Swimclear MD C5025).

So, clean water, new cartridges, re balancing and chlorinating the pool as we speak, but now the pump :-( . The pool is about 8 years old and has two pumps ( a 2HP for the filter and 1.5 for the feature). In-ground, 13000 gal, pebble-tech, in-ground cleaning system. The pump sounds and performs as it always has when it is not in an overheated state.

Any thoughts on what I might expect with the pump, do you think the pressure is an issue?

Thanks

Yes it is still pressure at 25 psi and I have cleaned all the filters with hose and replaced the filter cartridges about three days ago.

I have been studying this site, plenty of great detail. Which is why I drained my pool with a CYA of 150, as stated in my original post. Using liquid chlorine now and I am ordering the tft100 today.

I have also changed my signature, per your suggestion.

Does anybody have any thoughts around the overheating and high pressure?

25 PSI isn't really surprising for a 2 HP pump, especially if you have 1.5" plumbing (just guessing). Do you have a spa? I wouldn't expect a pump that large unless you had a spa.

Did the pressure used to be lower? Or are you only bringing it up because of the Leslie's comment?

The pump could be overheating because of a bad run capacitor.

Thanks for you reply...

I do have 1.5 pluming, and not spa though. There is a pop-up cleaning system, maybe that is why it is overbuilt? I don't remember the pressure ever being any lower. The only reason it was mentioned is that I thought it might have some bearing on the overheating problem.

Any ideas about verifying and fixing the bad capacitor?

Some models of the Super II have a run capacitor and some don't. If present it will be in an obvious "hump" on the top of the motor. If you are feeling sufficiently DIY, you can open up the hump, test the capacitor, and replace it with another of the same rating if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.