And the tests are in. I'll let you judge!

fields_g

Dec 25, 2014
Rockville, MD
4/15
FC 11.5
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 75

4/19
FC 8.5
CC 0
pH 7.3
TA 70
CH 250
CYA 75
Temperature 65 degrees

Since I just bought this house, I needed my pool opened by a professional, so we could inspect for problems. That happened 4/11. We got the cover off, and he threw some a couple bags of shock in and dropped 3 tabs in the skimmer. He was impressed by the look of the water and the condition of the pool. He never did a water test. Now a week as gone by and the tabs have disappeared and it is time for me to take over the care. Today I have been battling with a flowering tree that is dropping into the pool. By the looks of it, it should only be a problem for a couple more days.

Back to the tests..... CYA looks to be high. Can I let this drift down on its own? What is the downside(s) of running CYA a bit high? I appreciate all input.

The rest of your numbers look fine. How does the water look?

The CYA is high and it won't drift down easily. If you do not lower it by draining about 33% of your water and replacing it, the downside is you must run your chlorine much higher to ward off algae. Check out the FC/CYA chart in Pool school to compare the numbers.

I would suggest 40-50 ppm CYA in your climate

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.