replacement pump sizing

Sep 9, 2014
Rochester, NY
I have a question on replacement pump sizing. My 16 year old Aquatools 1HP pump died in September so I need to replace it this Spring.

I could not find an aquatools replacement but I assume I can use another brand. I saw a few 1 HP pumps
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP158...p/B002DPRT8Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

and

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Wave-NE6151B-Replacement-Ground/dp/B00B4ZNKO8#Ask

Both are 1HP. My filter is an Aquatools AT3115 which states a filtration rate of 20GPM. The pool is small (18' round/ 7800 gallons)

I read the GPM of these pumps are 38 or 43 GPM. I think it said something that reduces based on the size or the hoses, distance, etc. the pump is located close to the pool.

Are these replacement too strong for the size of my sized filter and could possibly damage it?

here are a few photos I took to see scale of filter, etc.

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

Thanks!
Steve

The filter would be too small for even a 3/4 hp pump. It's not so much that the pump can damage the filter (although very rarely it can) it's more that the pump aggressively forces the water through the filter and results in decreased filtration.....possibly even returning debris to the pool (but not likely)

So I would get a bigger filter....perhaps 40-50 gpm. A used filter is not a bad bet so check craigslist.

Thanks for the replies Smykowski and duraleigh.

duraleigh- OK, I'll check craigslist if there are any filters a bit larger. I rarely have issues with the water as it's clean. It is common for a manufacturer to put a pump too large for the filter? I didn't but this...the previous home owner did.

I am also wondering if instead of replacing the pump, I would be better off trying to find a direct replacement for the AO Smith motor and keep the same pump. It is in pretty good shape. I know the current pump works with this filter.

Thanks for the replies Smykowski and duraleigh.

duraleigh- OK, I'll check craigslist if there are any filters a bit larger. I rarely have issues with the water as it's clean. It is common for a manufacturer to put a pump too large for the filter? I didn't but this...the previous home owner did.

I am also wondering if instead of replacing the pump, I would be better off trying to find a direct replacement for the AO Smith motor and keep the same pump. It is in pretty good shape. I know the current pump works with this filter.

Yes. There seems to be this idea that the bigger the pump the better the system. Probably because there is a misplaced emphasis on "turnover."

If the pump is fine, replacing the motor only is a fantastic idea. If you can find a 2 speed, you'll be doing even better. The best would be to buy a 3/4hp 2-speed motor only. Just be aware that if you downsize the motor, you'll have to buy a smaller impeller for it as well.

Yes. There seems to be this idea that the bigger the pump the better the system. Probably because there is a misplaced emphasis on "turnover."

If the pump is fine, replacing the motor only is a fantastic idea. If you can find a 2 speed, you'll be doing even better. The best would be to buy a 3/4hp 2-speed motor only. Just be aware that if you downsize the motor, you'll have to buy a smaller impeller for it as well.

Bigger is Better is the american way. lol. Thanks for the info...it looks like I have a few different ways to go with this (larger filter, smaller pump, or replace motor).

One more question...are the hose sizes pretty much standard if I did get a new pump? In the photo above...I have a wide clear hose that runs from the pump to the filter and then two narrower hoses that run from and to the pool. Thanks!

I just wanted to close the loop on this. I purchased a 3/4 HP pump and it was a quick swap with all the existing hoses, etc fitting great. My winter cover teared this year and the pool had a lot of leaves, etc. in it when I opened it. The new pump works great with the existing sand filter and the pool was crystal clear in a few days. The other benefit was how quiet the new pump is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.