Choosing correct heater size

Mario P

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 9, 2014
Rio Rancho, NM
How do you determine the proper size heater for swimming pool?
I was suppose to get the 350K BTU heater that's no longer available.
Pentair now offers 300K or 400K units.
The cost is only ~$65, but PB already delivered 300K unit.
I want to get some data on proper sizing of my 16'x40' FB pool, with all plumbing running with 2" PVC.
I have a hard time figuring out the proper size.
I know that any heater will eventually get my pool to temp, but what's the most economical?
Is the right direction to go with 300K unit and run the heater/pump longer, or do I blast the 400K unit and run it that much shorter?
Running gas is not a determining factor as we already have to redo the gas pressure to deliver either 300K or 400K to the pool.

Heaters are BTU per hour. The size of the plumbing has little to do with it. (gas line excepted) A 400K BTU heater will raise the pool temperature 33% faster than a 300K BTU in a perfect world. In reality, it's probably faster than that. You lose a certain amount of heat to the air and the surrounding soil, and that's a function of time. Wait long enough, and the pool will cool down to the ambient temperature. So a pool that takes 8 hours to warm up will lose a lot more heat to the surroundings than a pool that takes 6 hours, everything else being the same. So it would likely be more like 9 hours versus 6 hours.

All that is my way of saying, I'd go bigger. My pool is considerably smaller than yours, and I have a 400K heater. It might be warmer where you live, and a cover will help a lot, but faster is still better. If you're hosting a pool party, you don't want to be waiting around for the thing to heat. The cost to heat will be roughly the same - a BTU is a BTU, whether it's 100 for an hour or 10 for 10 hours.

Estimating your pool at about 24000 gallons, that's roughly 192000 lbs of water. 192K/300K = 38 minutes per each degree rise. 400K lowers that to about 29 minutes. Say the water is a chilly 69 and you want it to a comfy 83. 9 hours running full tilt versus 6:45, excluding losses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.