Massive downpour during SLAMing..now what?

Not a big deal. Your average pool depth is probably something like 5 or 6 feet. Let's go conservative and call it 50" for mathematical convenience. 2" is only 4% of the pool volume. That's less than the margin of error on the tests. You probably won't even notice the dilution.

Thanks for the advice. PH came up so I added some more acid. FC came down one point. CYA was at 40 prior to rain but I did not reckeck it. TA was unchanged. Will check FC level just after dark and adjust if necessary.

From what I have read on here, if your FC is over 10 or at slam levels your PH will not be accurate. I am only testing FC. I started my slam yesterday. Good luck.

Rain has no I'll effects on a SLAM... except that you're going to get wet! But you won't melt!

Right in the middle of SLAMing we got slammed with a huge downpour that added a good two inches of water to the pool. Do I need to start all over or just maintain my 16 FC level?

As others have said, keep up the SLAM! It seems you sent the rain this way. Here are a couple of photos of the area around my pool yesterday afternoon. The black fence in the photos is the pool fencing.

Behind pool. This is normally dry grass.
DSC_0119.JPG

The is along side the pool. This area is normally a dry reiverbed which was installed for just such rain events. It has a 24" culvert in it to drain the water to the street where it drains to the lake.
DSC_0125.JPG

I got a lot of runoff from the pool deck into the pool during this rain. Between the rain and runoff I had to drain water off the pool twice as it was just below the coping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pH is unreliable during a SLAM, as others have said. For future reference, it is very common for pH to rise when you get a rainfall. Typically nothing to do with the chemistry of the rain water, but more about the massive amounts of aeration that rain drops cause on your pool surface. This drives up the pH by increasing the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing from your pool water. Higher TA will give higher rates of outgassing with aeration, so more pH rise.

That's a sweet river bed n run off system Tim!
Thanks!
As I have said in other posts, we are the low lot in our neighborhood. Heavy rain events send us water, but the is the most I have seen. While I may object to some things the previous owner (builder of the house) did, he did the best job he could in grading and preparing for water. The neighbors told me that before building the lot had a 6 - 8 foot deep ditch running through it. When they built they put the 24" culvert pipe in this ditch and covered it with gravel and dirt. As a matter of fact it is this gravel around the pipe that "I think" gets the backwash from the pool. My backwash pipe goes underground in this direction, but I have never seen any water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.