Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Massive downpour during SLAMing..now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Massive downpour during SLAMing..now what?

Right in the middle of SLAMing we got slammed with a huge downpour that added a good two inches of water to the pool. Do I need to start all over or just maintain my 16 FC level?
    36K gallon IG vinyl; pool frog system; Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo II Sand Filter 70GPM; Sta-Rite 1HP Pump; Polaris 280 w/booster; build date June 2013; TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Massive downpour during SLAMing..now what?

Just keep testing and adding the appropriate amount of liquid chlorine relative to your CYA.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

The rain wont hurt you. Like northrn says, just keep your FC going and you will be good.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Not a big deal. Your average pool depth is probably something like 5 or 6 feet. Let's go conservative and call it 50" for mathematical convenience. 2" is only 4% of the pool volume. That's less than the margin of error on the tests. You probably won't even notice the dilution.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice. PH came up so I added some more acid. FC came down one point. CYA was at 40 prior to rain but I did not reckeck it. TA was unchanged. Will check FC level just after dark and adjust if necessary.
    36K gallon IG vinyl; pool frog system; Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo II Sand Filter 70GPM; Sta-Rite 1HP Pump; Polaris 280 w/booster; build date June 2013; TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by gablueliner View Post
    Thanks for the advice. PH came up so I added some more acid. FC came down one point. CYA was at 40 prior to rain but I did not reckeck it. TA was unchanged. Will check FC level just after dark and adjust if necessary.
    From what I have read on here, if your FC is over 10 or at slam levels your PH will not be accurate. I am only testing FC. I started my slam yesterday. Good luck.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep up the slam. Drain a little water off if you want. Dont bother testing your CYA again unless you get three or four big rains like that, you will just waste your reagents.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

8. Back To Top    #8

What Azgirl says is true. with FC above 10, the pH test is skewed. No need to test pH or do anything with it until the slam is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    From what I have read on here, if your FC is over 10 or at slam levels your PH will not be accurate. I am only testing FC. I started my slam yesterday. Good luck.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Rain has no I'll effects on a SLAM... except that you're going to get wet! But you won't melt!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by gablueliner View Post
    Right in the middle of SLAMing we got slammed with a huge downpour that added a good two inches of water to the pool. Do I need to start all over or just maintain my 16 FC level?
    As others have said, keep up the SLAM! It seems you sent the rain this way. Here are a couple of photos of the area around my pool yesterday afternoon. The black fence in the photos is the pool fencing.

Behind pool. This is normally dry grass.

The is along side the pool. This area is normally a dry reiverbed which was installed for just such rain events. It has a 24" culvert in it to drain the water to the street where it drains to the lake.

I got a lot of runoff from the pool deck into the pool during this rain. Between the rain and runoff I had to drain water off the pool twice as it was just below the coping.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

That's a sweet river bed n run off system Tim!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Your pH is unreliable during a SLAM, as others have said. For future reference, it is very common for pH to rise when you get a rainfall. Typically nothing to do with the chemistry of the rain water, but more about the massive amounts of aeration that rain drops cause on your pool surface. This drives up the pH by increasing the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing from your pool water. Higher TA will give higher rates of outgassing with aeration, so more pH rise.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    That's a sweet river bed n run off system Tim!
    Thanks!
    As I have said in other posts, we are the low lot in our neighborhood. Heavy rain events send us water, but the is the most I have seen. While I may object to some things the previous owner (builder of the house) did, he did the best job he could in grading and preparing for water. The neighbors told me that before building the lot had a 6 - 8 foot deep ditch running through it. When they built they put the 24" culvert pipe in this ditch and covered it with gravel and dirt. As a matter of fact it is this gravel around the pipe that "I think" gets the backwash from the pool. My backwash pipe goes underground in this direction, but I have never seen any water.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon