Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to connect a friction fit pipe with a threaded one?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

Best way to connect a friction fit pipe with a threaded one?

As my title states, I need to find the best way to connect a shut off valve to my return. This is my current set up. My return is also my pool light. In the near future, I will be installing a Saltwater Chlorine Generator between the filter and the new shut off valve (if that makes a difference).
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to connect a friction fit pipe with a threaded one?

You mean something like this one ?? http://www.grainger.com/product/GF-PIPING-SYSTEMS-Male-Adapter-6MV39?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6MV35_AS01?$smthumb$

or this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pvc-Adaptor-...item2ed089da13
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

3. Back To Top    #3

The simplest thing to do is to add a new short piece of hose and put in a ball valve with two barbed fittings attached.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I called my pool store and learned that there is not a fitting like that made. I will have to be creative I suppose.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jason Lion, I figured that is what I'd have to do.
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

5. Back To Top    #5

Best way to connect a friction fit pipe with a threaded one?

I can't say my way is great, but with that same light I have my valve in the other side of the your pictured soft pvc near the filter. I am using a Hayward SP0723 off the filter return. (Going from memory, just had my pool installed less than a week ago.).
    13,500 Gallon 24' Round Vinyl Above Ground Pool installed in 2015
    Hayward Perfrle EC50 D.E. Filter 1.5HP, Daily runtime ?? hours
    TF100 Test Kit
    Starting out with BBB from Day 1

6. Back To Top    #6

I just ordered and received a Pentair hard plumbing adapter for my Aqualuminator light! So, this is what I have come up with. It probably isn't the cheapest solution, but it's what I was able to piece together with limited experience with PVC

The adapter and another part have to be glued. Did I pick the right glue? Should I be using different parts to connect the shut off and adapter or is this OK? The adapter is the part on the right in the photo

7. Back To Top    #7

Please post the results. I am looking to do the same.
    I have not done much PVC work but I used Oatey 30246 PVC Regular Cement and 4-Ounce NSF Purple Primer Handy Pack (search Amazon) in the past. Hopefully someone more skilled will chime in.
    13,500 Gallon 24' Round Vinyl Above Ground Pool installed in 2015
    Hayward Perfrle EC50 D.E. Filter 1.5HP, Daily runtime ?? hours
    TF100 Test Kit
    Starting out with BBB from Day 1