Morton Pool Salt Problem

As I said earlier, all brands and forms of salt occasionally have contamination. Contamination/debris in the salt is quite rare. Occasionally an entire batch will have problems. There are several grades of salt, and higher grades (like food grade) are less likely to have problems, but are not immune from problems.

This is a general salt industry problem that results from the huge quantities and relatively low value of the resulting product.

However, this is not normally an issue for swimming pool use, as salt is not added frequently and cleaning up any debris that might appear is fairly simple.

No, not really. There are two kinds of salt in yellow bags: Diamond Crystal Sun Gems which are essentially identical to the Diamond Crystal Solar Naturals in blue bags. Slightly more common in yellow bags are Diamond Crystal Bright & Soft Water Softener Pellets. The pellets dissolve a little more slowly, but still quickly enough. We recommend Sun Gems or Solar Naturals, but the pellets are fine.

Lets do some math...

40 pound bags of salt. 99.9% "pure"

That's 639.36 ounces of salt and .64 ounces of whatever.

12 bags x .64 ounces of whatever = 7.68 ounces of whatever.

That's just about a half of a pound of rocks and dirt and flies and cat fur etc. even in the best of conditions.

So a few pebbles will show up in your pool no matter what you do.

Update on Morton Pool Salt contamination

I spoke to a customer support representative yesterday. She was very concerned about the debris problem that I experienced with their product. She assured me that this was not a normal occurrence and that Morton gets the salt from different suppliers. Fortunately I had an empty bag and was able to give her the lot number so they could trace the origin of the batch. I was also told that since it is a natural product, there might be small pieces of shell or other debris but not to the extent that I found. They are sending me coupons for future purchase as compensation for my problem. All in all, I was impressed with their quick response and concern about the issue. - John

Merged into original thread
Divin Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for following up with that, John. We all know folks in business make mistakes but they are never able to fix their mistakes if you don't let them know of the problem.

Good for you for letting them know and giving them a chance and good for Morton that they have done the right thing by a customer.

I usually buy the Diamond Crystal Solar Salt from Lowes but the price went up to $6.98 per bag this year. Instead, I found Morton Pool Salt cheaper at $5.28 per bag at Walmart and bought eight bags. I dumped one bag of Diamond Crystal Solar Salt that I had left over from last year on one side of the pool and three bags of the Morton Pool Salt on the other side of the pool. Like the original poster, I too have a pile of stones and other debris on the side where I used the Morton Pool Salt. I'm also going to give their customer service a call today and complain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The rocks and debris was in the Morton Pool Salt not the Diamond Solar Salt. Morton claims how pure their pool salt is when in reality, I find much less impurities in the Solar Salt. As someone said earlier, this may be a problem with a certain batch and not the norm for the product.

I had the same issue with Morton Pool Salt......won't be using that again.

This year my pool store is carrying Superior Crystal Pool Salt by US Salt LLC.

http://www.ussaltllc.com/superiorpool.htm

So far I'm very happy with it. It's very clean, and much finer grained so it dissolves much faster. I hope they continue to carry it.

I spoke with Morton customer service about the impurities that I found in their pool salt. I was told to look for bags that stated that they were made in the United States rather than the Bahamas. The Bahamas products are "more natural" with more impurities. Morton was nice enough to send me coupons to replace the bags that I purchased. But, from now on, I think I'll stick with Diamond Crystal Solar Salt which I haven't had any problems with.

Will be going to Home Depot tomorrow to get the Diamond Solar Naturals salt as well. Glad I saw this thread as I was going to get the mortons salt from Walmart. Also, what does everyone use for salt testing and where the best place to buy?

My experience has been good with this salt test kit;

http://tftestkits.net/Salt-Test-Strips-Aqua-Chek-p28.html

It's been said on this forum (and Pool Forum) that these strips are reasonably accurate (this has been my experience as well).

I think most people on this site suggest that the strips are NOT generally accurate. I'm referring to the experts on here. I'm not one of them LOL. My salt strips are absolutely terrible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.