Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Morton Pool Salt Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Thumbs up Morton Pool Salt Problem

Just had a new 18x33 above ground pool installed. My 30 year pool bit the dust this winter. Since I am starting from scratch with the water, I had to get some salt since I have a SWG system. I chose Morton Pool Salt due to the brand name and the claim on the package that it is high purity, fast dissolving and free from impurities. Got it at Walmart for the price of $6.38 for a 40lb bag - home run, right? After emptying 12 bags into the pool I started to sweep it around to aid in dissolving. I soon noticed some strange objects in the piles that did not look like salt. It became apparent the objects were numerous small pebbles and other debris. - not the best scenario for an above the ground pool with a vinyl liner. I checked the bag again and in small print on the back it stated that since the salt is a natural product produced in ponds and dried by the sun, it may contain small stones and other minerals. Giving that statement HOW THE HECK CAN THEY LABEL THE BAG ON THE FRONT IN BIG LETTERS THAT STATES "HIGH PURITY, NO ADDITIVES "!!! Now I have the added chore of vacuuming up all the **** from their product before it wrecks my new liner. I would highly recommend that every one stay away from Morton Pool Salt. - John
    Last edited by JasonLion; 04-19-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Removed global bolding

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Morton Pool Salt Problem

Hi John,
    I hate to hear of your woes with pepples in the salt.

For what its worth, if you need to add salt in the future, a lot of us, me included, use Solar Salt. You can save a few dollars by using it if you are so inclined.

I get mine at home depot which I provided a link below for.
    Ive never noticed any pebbles or anything else in the solar salt.

The only large difference between pool salt and solar salt, is how fine the salt grains are. For 2$ bag difference in price, I dont mind if it takes 20 minutes for the larger grains to dissolve vs the fine grains of the pool salt.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diamond-C...2454/100172669
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Dang it!! Thanks for the heads up.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Seems like a company with that brand identity could NEVER afford that misstep.

Have you contacted them to discuss it?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Could be a huge help to other salt users on this forum if you could do a bit of follow up for us on that johnnydot.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

not yet, this just happened today a few hours ago, plan to send them a nasty gram.

7. Back To Top    #7

That is odd.
    I used the same salt from Walmart last weekend, 10 bags. I did not notice any dirt or impurities that you have mentioned. Probably different patches. Wished I knew about the solar salt at Home Depot, I have a $20.00 gift card there.
    34000 gallon/vinyl/1 1/2 HP pump/ Hayward sand filter S310T/ Dolphin Deluxe4/ Circupool SI60/

8. Back To Top    #8

I used 13 bags of Morton's Pool Salt about 3 weeks ago and had no problems with debris of any kind.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Occasional debris is a very rare, but recurring problem for all of the salt companies.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

mine from lowes was the same problem with residue.
    see; http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post779186
    99.9% pure, kosher salt 'food quality' when I looked at their msds and labeling.
    it costs more but no clean up....
    18X36 Grecian 24400 est., pacfab sand Triton II, 1.5hp AOSmith, clormatic 2

11. Back To Top    #11

Make sure you do not get table salt. Table salt has chemicals in it to promote free pouring which will tend to cause stains.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Could be a huge help to other salt users on this forum if you could do a bit of follow up for us on that johnnydot.
    Sent an e-mail to Morton Salt Customer Service - awaiting reply.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by eaamon View Post
    mine from lowes was the same problem with residue.
    see; http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post779186
    99.9% pure, kosher salt 'food quality' when I looked at their msds and labeling.
    it costs more but no clean up....
    Ok, I don't understand your comment here?? What same problem with residue ??? Residue = clean-up, NO ?????
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    Ok, I don't understand your comment here?? What same problem with residue ??? Residue = clean-up, NO ?????
    Oh, you don't mind pebbles and other debris introduced into you new virgin vinyl liner pool? When you get a product that is labeled high purity, no additives, you expect that product live up to your expectations. Never had a problem with garbage in the salt that I added to my last pool that I got from the pool store 10 years ago. And we are not just talking about residue.We are talking about small stones that can punch through the vinyl liner if stepped on. Fortunately it is not swimming season where I live on Long Island and I have time to scour the pool and hopefully get all the stones removed.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydot View Post
    Oh, you don't mind pebbles and other debris introduced into you new virgin vinyl liner pool? When you get a product that is labeled high purity, no additives, you expect that product live up to your expectations. Never had a problem with garbage in the salt that I added to my last pool that I got from the pool store 10 years ago. And we are not just talking about residue.We are talking about small stones that can punch through the vinyl liner if stepped on. Fortunately it is not swimming season where I live on Long Island and I have time to scour the pool and hopefully get all the stones removed.
    I think you COMPLETELY missed what I was asking here ?? Eaamon has me confused, first line states " mine from Lowes was the same problem with residue ", last line states "it costs more but no clean up" To me unwanted residue equals clean up!!!!!
    Are we talking about TWO different salt products ???
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes, it's two different products. Don't let this turn into a fight fellas. Everyone is just trying to understand what's happening. Please keep it civil.

Let us know how it comes out and what they say Johnny. I would be HOT myself.

To anyone else interested, it's anecdotal, but I use solar crystals for my softener, and I clean the brine tank about once a year. Never found any pebbles and the purity is amazingly good. Point being, this is a good product to consider for your salt pool needs, and I would choose it had I one myself.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I picked up a bag at lowes and there were a lot of little black things in it. I will never use Morton again. I will switch to solar salt or get the diamond brand at Home Depot.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    I think you COMPLETELY missed what I was asking here ?? Eaamon has me confused, first line states " mine from Lowes was the same problem with residue ", last line states "it costs more but no clean up" To me unwanted residue equals clean up!!!!!
    Are we talking about TWO different salt products ???
    I picked up solar salt at lowes. I too was disappointed with the residue spots all over the steps and bottom.

the other part is my local pool store has the 'aquasalt' link just added to another in this section, we were talking salts.
    the Aquasalt has a msds of 99.9% pure, it leaves no residue to clean up afterwards. more time to swim.
    but it does cost more. the company says it is rated a "food quality salt....not for table use."
    I did use the solar salt when my local store ran out of the better grade salt.
    hope you understand now, it is two different salts and prices. you get what you pay for.........
    18X36 Grecian 24400 est., pacfab sand Triton II, 1.5hp AOSmith, clormatic 2

19. Back To Top    #19

I picked up solar salt at lowes. I too was disappointed with the residue spots all over the steps and bottom.

the other part is my local pool store has the 'aquasalt' link just added to another in this section, we were talking salts.
    the Aquasalt has a msds of 99.9% pure, it leaves no residue to clean up afterwards. more time to swim.
    but it does cost more. the company says it is rated a "food quality salt....not for table use."
    hope you understand now, it is two different salts and prices. you get what you pay for.........
    Thank you very much for the clarification.

20. Back To Top    #20

What puzzles me about Aquasalt is that it says it has "stain fighters", which to me means it has some additive. I contacted the company about what is added to fight stains, but no one could tell me. I tried a few bags myself and was very disappointed. When I added it to my pool grey scum floated to the surface. Needless to say I haven't used it since.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast