DE Filter and Spring start up

tcasto

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Bucks County PA
First time opening the pool by ourselves! Took the cover off, took the plugs out, did an initial test with the Taylor 2006, and sent hubby to the store to get lots of bleach. FC = 0, PH is less than 7 (bright yellow), TA is between 20 and 30. Water is a bit murky, can't really see the bottom in the deep end. I was hoping it would not be so cloudy since the weather is still cold. Oh well, will start slam tonight, once I get the filter charged with DE.
We took the filter apart cleaned it when we closed the pool in the fall.

So here are my questions:
1. The chart on the filter recommends 3.6 pounds of DE. I know that you guys usually suggest 80%, so that would be 2.88 pounds. Is that the amount to put in the slurry? Or should it be 3.6 because we cleaned the filter in the fall?:confused:

AND -2. I am assuming that it is ok to start the filter/pump when there is no DE in it? I can add the DE through the skimmer bucket as soon as I determine that there are no leaks etc in the system through an initial start-up?

3. Is it ok to add DE while starting SLAM?

4. Anything else I may have forgotten?

5. I am assuming that I should ignore the PH temporarily until the SLAM is done?

Thanks in advance for your help:D

T

If you did a full cleanup after closing, then you add the full amount of DE on opening in the spring. You add the 80% amount after backwashing.

Don't run the filter for long without DE. Five minutes is fine, but hours is likely to be a problem.

3) Sure.

5) Adjust PH before starting the SLAM, then ignore during the SLAM.

Hi again from a balmy 33 degree morning here in Bucks County eastern PA! I was just hoping for some reassurance that my plan of action is ok for getting the pool ready for family fun in a few weeks. The water temperature read as 48!!
When we closed the pool these were the numbers (using Taylor k-2006) FC 10.5 PH 7.6 TA 80 CYA 65

When we took the cover off last weekend - FC 0 PH less than 7 TA 20-30 (I did not do any other tests because the FC was 0 )
I added 2 boxes of Borax and some 9 gallons of 8.25% bleach in on Sunday and another 3 on Wednesday evening and have been running the filter about 6 hours a day

Today FC 4.5 CC 0 PH 7.0 TA 70 CH 100 CYA 30 Salt 2400
The pool is looking good except for the leaves and (some yucky worms) on the bottom which I plan to convince hubby:) to fish out/vacuum today once it warms up a bit here.

Question: 1. Is it possible for the CYA to drop from 65 to barely 30 in one winter? We lowered the water to below the eyeballs before we closed and it is above the skimmer now.

Question 2 - Does this sound right - My plan: Because the FC and CC are looking good, but the PH and CYA are not, I am going to add 126 oz of Borax and also 112 oz of stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer tomorrow. Before that I am going to backwash and recharge the DE again after running the filter this week. The water level is too high right now (above the skimmer) so I am using the backwash to lower the level too. I just want to make sure this is the proper course of action before I go ahead.

Question 3: Is it ok to add Borax instead of Washing Soda/Soda Ash? (I am not familiar with those)

Thanks in advance for your help. I really appreciate you being here! :)
Theresa

1) Yes, CYA sometimes disappears over the winter.
2) Raise the PH to at least 7.5 first. CYA should be taken up in two or three steps so you don't accidentally overshot.
3) Sure. Borax is actually slightly preferred but soda ash is acceptable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so I guess I added too much Borax, because the PH is now 8 or higher. Using pool math I just added 17 oz. of Muriatic acid.
1. How soon after adding it can I get an accurate reading on the PH again?

I am also adding CYA in a sock - but I am adding half the amount that Pool Math suggested. I am afraid of overdoing it on that stuff. I do not want to have to drain/refill.
2. I was wondering how much water temperature plays in getting an accurate CYA reading? Our water is a chilly 50 degrees this morning.

Thanks again for being here! I have learned so much. The pool is looking great - starting to sparkle already! Next weekend I am going to clean the salt cell :)

Hi all! I have not done anything with the pool in a week. (I know it's like a puppy and needs a little attention each day - but life got in the way this week)
We put the solar cover on it last Sunday when the FC was at 8. We have a SWG but I am afraid it is not working. I have had to put bleach in the pool a number of times since we opened it. The FC number will stay steady overnight and the water is clear, so I do not think anything is growing in there. But our pool is in its 3rd season and we have never cleaned the SWG cell. The pool guy who installed our pool told us that we would probably never have to do it. He is also the guy who opened and closed our pool at $350 each opening and closing and never checked/cleaned our filter or told us how to do it when we bought the pool from him. Anyway, I digress.
My question is:
After not touching the pool since Sunday - we have had some hot sunny days of 70 - 80 plus, Today the FC is 0 and the PH is 7 or less.
On Sunday the FC was 8 and the PH was 7.8

1. Which should I address first, the Ph or the FC?
I planned on adding bleach and borax according to Pool Math calculations tonight and then checking FC early tomorrow morning to confirm that nothing is growing in there. Does a low PH affect the FC or vice versa?

2. I got a kit to clean the SWG cell and I hope to take care of it Sunday. In the meantime, how many gallons of bleach would I need to use in a 23000 pool to maintain it if the SWG is not working. I was hoping it was just not responding because the water temperature had been too cold.

3. What would make the PH on a pool with a SWG get so low. I had to add Borax a couple of times already and then I added too much and had to add acid. Now it is low again. I followed the Pool Math Calculator to put in the MA and actually put in less than asked for. But it is less than 7 again. What causes it to drop?

I really appreciate your help! Thanks, T

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.