Brown Stain around the pipe that returns water into the pool

Apr 7, 2015
Katy, TX
Hello,

I am a new pool owner and my pool is about 2 months old. I have learned to balance my pool in regards to chlorine, pH and alkalinity. The other day, I noticed a brown stain around the circumference of the pipe that returns filtered water into the pool. I asked my pool builder and he told me it is due to the metals in the water.

Can anyone tell me what kind of product would be best to remove the stain? I was told to use Jacks Magic but there are many different kinds. I was told this will remove the metals from the water.

I was told to use Stain Free Plus to remove the stain itself. I could not find this product at my local pool store. Any idea for another product to remove the stain?

Thank you,

Brian

Welcome to TFP!

If the stains are iron stains, ascorbic acid will remove the stains from the surface, and put the iron into the water. Sequestrants, like several of Jack's products, bind to the metals and prevent them from causing stains. However, sequestrant breaks down slowly and needs to be replaced regularly or the stains will reappear. There aren't any chemicals/prodcedures that will reliably remove the metals from the water. Sequestrant does sometimes remove metals, but not reliably enough to depend on.

Before doing a treatment for the stains, you should try placing/holding a vitamin C tablet on a stained area for at least 30 seconds (or till it dissolves) and see if the stain lightens or goes away in that spot. If it does, then an ascorbic acid treatment will work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.