Pool pump not priming

Apr 19, 2015
Davie florida
Hello TFP forum. First post on here ever and also a new pool owner. Been living in the new home for about a week now and everything has been wonderful. Except for when I made an appointment with a pool technician and came to clean up the pool. Eddy the pool tech said right off the bat that I have the wrong system for my pool. Which is a sprinkler system. Right off the bat I found that to be strange cause when the homeowners gave us the house the pool was super clean and clear. What ever the case was when Eddy turned the pump on manually the pump did not prime what so ever.
He added water to both the filter and skimmer basket to try and create a suction for the oump to prime and he said no, the pump is too small to create suction. He claimed I needed a 3/4 hp motor.
When he left I got curious to see the pump specifications and I see it is a Hayward pro flow 1510 1.0 hp pool and spa pump. So it's impossible it's a sprinkler system. I have no idea why he would say something so stupid like that. So the pump is sufficient.

So he left the pump running dry because that's how it was before he came. (Mind you first time pool owner). These past few days I have been trying to get the pump to prime and it does not want too. I added water to the skimmer basket nothing. I tried to spin the empeller but my hands too big to reach inside. (I could disassemble it but again it's not my house to be going crazy like this)

So my friend also told me to run the oump with no filter and maybe the filter is clogged. That was a no go.

My wife says that when the pump turns on at 8am to circulate the pool that she could hear the skimmer sucking up water and the jet pushing water. But when I turn the pump manually it doesn't do anything. The skimmer doesn't bubble or anything. It absolutely does nothing, just hear the pump go off. The pump to me is working fine. When I add water to the pump basket it sucks up the water immediately.

I'm so confused on what to do. I want to figure out the problem so I could tell the home owner so he could fix it. Don't really want to pay someone to come and diagnose it. My buddy told me it could be my skimmer is clogged up with something which could be relatively possible. As when I rented the house it does not have a skimmer basket nor does it have a water valve in the basket to control from he main drain to the auction line to the pump.
He told me to grab a hose and run it down the skimmer line and turn the water on and see if it goes inside the pump.

Also the water level is a little low. But their is still water flow into the skimmer. Does the water need to be up to the tiles for it to work? It right under the tiles. Please help me. If it makes a difference I found a lot of pool wall debris in the pool filter. Like the little rocks from a fish tank. Please shed some light in me. Thanks in advance to everyone who takes their time to read this.

Hi BigMike,
is the pool an in-ground or above ground pool? There is a big difference in pumps meant for above and inground pools.

Sticking a waterhose into the skimmer pipe is a good idea.
Water level should normally be 1/2 way up the skimmer mouth. Low water level usually results in a vortex in the skimmer.

Have you tried bleeding air from the filter? Do you know how?

Please verify the Pump again. I googled Hayward Pro Flow and dont get any hits. I do get hits on the Power FLow though, which most of them are designed for above ground pools and those pumps generally are installed below the water level and are continuously flooded. Above ground pumps on inground pool usually are not self priming pumps. That may be whats going on.

Its not good to run the pump unprimed. Doing so can burn up the pump.

Here is owners manual for the Power Flow pump - again, please verify if its pro flow or Power Flow.
https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/PowerFloMatrix.pdf

Hi, welcome to TFP!

There are a few options here, let's start with these.
Is the skimmer emptying out when you try to prime? Add water.
Do you have a main/bottom drain? Change the valve to pull only from main drain and see if it will prime. If you don't know how to adjust valves post a pic of the equipment pad and we can help.

Sounds like you need a new pool guy, or no pool guy. Read up on pool maintenance here and take care of your own pool, better than the pool guy.

Please update your signature as described here, What we need to know to answer your questions

After we get this figured out go read these links.
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Test Kit Comparison
Recommended Levels

Ok so I have a Hayward power flow lx pump. Sp1510z1xbc 1.0 horse power 60gpm.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I don't have any valves. I see they used to have a sand collector type filter on before. Now I have a Hayward filter. So in the skimmer I see 2 pipes. I'm guessing ( skimmer suction and drain/main). Not sure which is which. And one pipe comes from the floor to the pump and to the filter and back down to the floor ( pool) and I forgot to mention. I have a IN GROUND POOL!!! It's like a 20x40. 8 ft deep I think

Mike,
that pump is designed for an above ground pool. It is not designed to work on an inground pool.
If the pump elevation is more than a few inches above the water level of the pool, it will never prime without being a giant pain. Somehow you would have to flood the pump, filter and suction line from the pool to the pump in order to get it to start pumping.

Inground pumps have completely different wet ends and impellers on them which provide the needed priming actions.
Above ground pumps are designed to be continually flooded with water, even when turned off.

If you will look at the owner manual I previously posted, a couple of pages into it, it shows the installation and how it should be located below the water level of the pool.

The only real resolution, is to replace the pump with one designed for an inground pool.

sorry for the bad news....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.