Crack in gunite and water seeping from steps....

rmm221

Mar 31, 2015
Granada Hills, CA
So progress on my pool is moving along quickly. After plaster removal one crack that runs from tile line halfway down the pool wall is visible. Our pool guy spoke of possibly needing to add staples to the crack. What's a good estimate of the cost and how effective is the staple fix? It is about a 3-4ft crack... Pictured below. To my eye is looks like it could just be plastered over... But what do the staples achieve?

Also unrelated to the crack there is large wet areas In the shallow end of the pool where the bottom of the steps feel sandy and waterlogged. What is the cause of that? I don't have the space to upload another photo... Will repost

Water wet spot in pool steps... Sandy, soft wet bottom of steps...

Pool crew removed plaster down to gunite... I came home to a large damp, wet spot running along the bottom of the shallow end pool steps. The bottom of the steps feels soft in spots, like wet sand. Is this a concern?

So progress on my pool is moving along quickly. After plaster removal one crack that runs from tile line halfway down the pool wall is visible. Our pool guy spoke of possibly needing to add staples to the crack. What's a good estimate of the cost and how effective is the staple fix? It is about a 3-4ft crack... Pictured below. To my eye is looks like it could just be plastered over... But what do the staples achieve?

The staples ensure that the crack doesn't get larger. The staple will be 10" or longer with the body being about 3/8". It will be counter sunk into the gunite, most likely, then everything patched up and replastered so that you won't even see it (staples or crack). The staples themselves shouldn't cost too much. Can't speak for the labor though.

Also unrelated to the crack there is large wet areas In the shallow end of the pool where the bottom of the steps feel sandy and waterlogged. What is the cause of that? I don't have the space to upload another photo... Will repost

Not sure about this one. What kind of plaster are you using?

Thanks for the info! I included a wide photo of the wet spot line in the shallow end steps in another post. (Now above. JasonLion) Our old plaster was VERY old and pitted. It actually had a shallow worn out hole or two in the plaster at the bottom of the steps. Could the water from the pool have slowly water logged the bottom of the steps over the many many years? (I think it might have been original 1957 plaster for all I know? Since the bottom of the steps is soft and sandy can you still plaster over it?

I am replastering with White plaster.

I would think it would be seeping out the 12 foot deep end... Not the shallow end. We are also in drought stricken Southern California. What would explain why the bottom of the steps our sandy and soft? Every where else it's solid gunite.

Yikes, now you have me worried we have a bad foundation damaging leak in pipes close to the house, which is where the shallow end is closest too.

Ground water is strange that way. You never know where it will come up and it is rarely the most logical place in terms of gravity and where it ought to come out. We have springs and water seeps that run for weeks after it rains in all kinds of strange places, one is almost at the top of the hill.

Don't know about the sandy consistency. Could be from 50+ years of ground water erosion. Hopefully someone who knows more can answer this. Has your PB said anything about it?

Ground water is strange that way. You never know where it will come up and it is rarely the most logical place in terms of gravity and where it ought to come out. We have springs and water seeps that run for weeks after it rains in all kinds of strange places, one is almost at the top of the hill.

Don't know about the sandy consistency. Could be from 50+ years of ground water erosion. Hopefully someone who knows more can answer this. Has your PB said anything about it?

He has Sumday off.. So I wasn't gonna to bother him until he comes back Monday.... So I thought I would just pester everyone on TFP instead..haha

Well, the crack is gonna cost $450 to add 3-4 staples to it. Pretty fair price I think. Considering I have a 50+ year old pool... 1 noticeable crack down to the gunite isn't too bad. Especially since we live in earthquake prone So Cal. My pool guy didn't really have a response to the water on the shallow end steps and the soft/sandy bottom.

I can't wait until this is done... Ran into to pool light problems today.. The tubing was broken that leads under my concrete deck to the light fixture. I have to admit I didn't fully understand how the light wiring works. He said that water is suppose to run into the tubing alongside the sealed wiring. But the tubing was cracked under the concrete somewhere and will leak water. His cheap solution was to epoxy putty up the hole leading into the wiring. (Which is actually what the prior owners had done anyway.) Probably makes it a little messier to swap out a bulb in the future.. but hopefully this one lasts a long time.

I'm also having a GFCI protector installed on the switch for the light.. I heard that horrible story about the boy in Florida electrocuted by a malfunctioning pool light. Scares me to death with my daughter. I'm gonna have a trusted electrician come out and check everything over.. along with other odds and ends in my house after the pool is done.

They are tiling tomorrow... hopefully they can plaster on Thursday soon after and the rain holds off that's in the forecast thursday night into friday morning. (Even though So Cal could use some rain).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.